Sunday, 15 December 2013

Tables Runners - four finishes!

I have four finished table runners to share today - three very different designs and techniques!






First up is a finish that qualifies for the Finish Along - and has appeared on my list a few times now. I finally can share the finished piece with you. This was the very first English Paper Pieced project I ever started. It was my holiday project for Sidmouth in August 2012 and the colour scheme was inspired by a palette I found on Design Seeds.

The fabrics are a bit of a mixture: lots of Art Gallery, some beautiful low volume texty fabrics and some proper black fabrics! The background is Primitive Muslin from Moda, the backing is Nature Elements from Art Gallery and the binding is Floral Elements from Art Gallery.


I finished piecing the hexies months ago and did the applique when I stayed in Budapest in March.


 Basting was interesting. And possibly a contributing factor in my current bad back! It took a lot of time to decide how to quilt it, but I decided hand quilting was in keeping with the rest of the project. I used Finca Perle no. 16 in a very pale pink and bought myself a Hera Marker - how did I live without one for so long!


I even finished off the binding by hand - I haven't done that for a while!

Come the end of the month I will be linking up this post with the Finish Along...

she can quilt



In the meantime I have three more table runners with a more festive theme... the first two are the same design. I wanted to thank two of the lovely ladies at the Church craft club who have made me booties and a little cardigan for baby. I can't knit to save my life and Ruth has made it very clear to me that she can't sew (and is scared of the sewing machine). So this was an obvious way of thanking her and Marion.


The block is Love in the Mist  (you can find the tutorial here) and it's still one of my favourite basic patchwork blocks. I wanted the table runners to be Christmassy but not too Christmassy, so I picked reds and greens, but not with a Christmas print. These fabrics (mostly from the Women of Courage collections from Windham) are a million billion miles out of my normal comfort zone but just right for the recipients. It took a long time to pick the background fabric, because I really didn't like it on the bolt, and Nicola, from my LQS, who helped me pick the fabrics, was determined it was the one. She was right. As usual... (don't tell her I said that).

The two table runners are slightly different lengths as I used different seams as my starting point when trimming the pointy ends. The free motion quilting stipple was just right for the traditional design and despite a tiny little issue was relatively smooth.


The binding made my head hurt - funny angles.... baby brain.... not a good mix. The backing was a good quality sheet from John Lewis which I have on hand to back small projects!


The final table runner is another festive one - this is for me and was inspired by this mug rug I found on Pinterest and all of the matchstick quilting that Leanne has been playing with!

I picked out random low volume fabrics - though in hindsight they should have been lower volume - and did some raw edge applique to attach fabrics for the trees. This was pretty close to improv for me and I really struggled to let go and just let it happen. But I'm really pleased with this spur of the moment project.


I'd been meaning to try matchstick quilting for a long time, and this was the perfect project to try it on. I think this won't be the last time... and the backing is a leftover from the quilt I made last Christmas for a friend - it was the perfect size!

I hope my husband doesn't think he can use these to put his beer cans on...

1 comment:

Lin said...

A great collection Jennie but my favourite is the hexie one! xx