Skip to main content

Tables Runners - four finishes!

I have four finished table runners to share today - three very different designs and techniques!






First up is a finish that qualifies for the Finish Along - and has appeared on my list a few times now. I finally can share the finished piece with you. This was the very first English Paper Pieced project I ever started. It was my holiday project for Sidmouth in August 2012 and the colour scheme was inspired by a palette I found on Design Seeds.

The fabrics are a bit of a mixture: lots of Art Gallery, some beautiful low volume texty fabrics and some proper black fabrics! The background is Primitive Muslin from Moda, the backing is Nature Elements from Art Gallery and the binding is Floral Elements from Art Gallery.


I finished piecing the hexies months ago and did the applique when I stayed in Budapest in March.


 Basting was interesting. And possibly a contributing factor in my current bad back! It took a lot of time to decide how to quilt it, but I decided hand quilting was in keeping with the rest of the project. I used Finca Perle no. 16 in a very pale pink and bought myself a Hera Marker - how did I live without one for so long!


I even finished off the binding by hand - I haven't done that for a while!

Come the end of the month I will be linking up this post with the Finish Along...

she can quilt



In the meantime I have three more table runners with a more festive theme... the first two are the same design. I wanted to thank two of the lovely ladies at the Church craft club who have made me booties and a little cardigan for baby. I can't knit to save my life and Ruth has made it very clear to me that she can't sew (and is scared of the sewing machine). So this was an obvious way of thanking her and Marion.


The block is Love in the Mist  (you can find the tutorial here) and it's still one of my favourite basic patchwork blocks. I wanted the table runners to be Christmassy but not too Christmassy, so I picked reds and greens, but not with a Christmas print. These fabrics (mostly from the Women of Courage collections from Windham) are a million billion miles out of my normal comfort zone but just right for the recipients. It took a long time to pick the background fabric, because I really didn't like it on the bolt, and Nicola, from my LQS, who helped me pick the fabrics, was determined it was the one. She was right. As usual... (don't tell her I said that).

The two table runners are slightly different lengths as I used different seams as my starting point when trimming the pointy ends. The free motion quilting stipple was just right for the traditional design and despite a tiny little issue was relatively smooth.


The binding made my head hurt - funny angles.... baby brain.... not a good mix. The backing was a good quality sheet from John Lewis which I have on hand to back small projects!


The final table runner is another festive one - this is for me and was inspired by this mug rug I found on Pinterest and all of the matchstick quilting that Leanne has been playing with!

I picked out random low volume fabrics - though in hindsight they should have been lower volume - and did some raw edge applique to attach fabrics for the trees. This was pretty close to improv for me and I really struggled to let go and just let it happen. But I'm really pleased with this spur of the moment project.


I'd been meaning to try matchstick quilting for a long time, and this was the perfect project to try it on. I think this won't be the last time... and the backing is a leftover from the quilt I made last Christmas for a friend - it was the perfect size!

I hope my husband doesn't think he can use these to put his beer cans on...

Comments

Lin said…
A great collection Jennie but my favourite is the hexie one! xx

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more