Thursday, 24 April 2014

Neon Stained [Quilted]

It isn't finished yet, but today my neon stained quilt is officially a step closer. I have finished the free motion quilting. Warning - this post is photo heavy as I dissect my free motion quilting! Ive found loads of inspiration online for the quilting ideas and it's all pinned on my Pinterest board.
Progress shot!
First up a shot of the whole quilt from the front (I totally lucked out with the light in our living room this afternoon to get these photos which show the quilting off so well)...


...and from the back (I've heard rumours Ikea are discontinuing this print - does anyone know if that's the case in the UK too?).

I think this may be my favourite quilt ever. I have taken each block of colour and individually free motion quilted it in a variety of filler designs - some were successful, some less so, and there are some that I want to revisit again in the future.
I love the texture of pebbles (orange top left) and the really dense straight (?!) line quiltilng in the green. I was also really pleased with how the circles on string turned out (bottom right green).


The green in the top left was an attempt at combining different patterns. I love the ideas I had here but I want to work them through better and think about them a bit more, then try them again. Also new for me was an attempt at wood-grain (orange on the right and large yellow at the bottom right) though I lost my way a little. I found this idea online and I think I need to look at the pictures again to see where I'm going wrong for a wood grain effect. To me this looks more like swirling water.
Another attempt at combining patterns in the green on the right. I was also really pleased with the hearts in the yellow on the left. Less successful was the pink quilting.... I'm not sure I even like it, so may leave this pattern out of my repertoire in the future....

I love the effect of the very dense cross hatch in the yellow at the top. The yellow fan effect was less great - I think I need to mark this in the future and the lines needed to be closer together for this quilt. I didn't mark anything on this quilt at all....


More lovely dense straight line quilting in the pink top left, and more of the circles on string which I loved in the green and yellow and orange along the bottom of this shot.

Overall I'm so pleased with my free motion quilting. Lots more practice will always be needed, but I've learned what's worth practicing more, what needs more thought and what to abandon over the last few days quilting up this top.

All of the quilting was done in Aurifil 50 weight thread with the same thread top and bottom: 3660 (pink variegated); 1147 (green - I think); 1104 (orange); and 4658 (variegated yellow).


A huge thanks to Sarah at Narcoleptic in a Cupboard for such a fantastic quilt along - two years later I may get this quilt finished! If I can find the fabric for the binding, which is in a "safe place"!


7 comments:

Archie the wonder dog said...

It's looking fabulous - your FMQ skills are wonderful!!!

Grit said...

Looks so wonderful. A wonderful quilt to practice FMQ.
Greetings Grit

Marly said...

It looks terrific. I love your quilting. You did well changing the quilting thread to match the colour of every patch.

Jane said...

You have done an amazing job on the quilting. Inspirational!

Jessica said...

Your FMQ looks beautiful! I love how you individually quilted each shape!

Jessica said...

Your FMQ looks beautiful! I love how you individually quilted each shape!

mumasu said...

The quilting looks great and just the way that you have tried so many different styles, fantastic :)