Skip to main content

Hand-made Christmas [Darth Vader]

I don't like Star Wars. There. I said it. When my husband and I were dating at Uni I was dragged to a midnight showing of whichever film it was that came out in 2003 or 2004, maybe 2005.... I don't get the hype. I have no intention of going to see it at the cinema.  But I know a six year old, who absolutely loves Star Wars and loves Lego. So thanks to Kristy @ Quiet Play, his Christmas present was a very easy decision.



Of course, it's impossible to be totally ignorant of Star Wars... I mean I know who Darth Vader is. So I picked the foundation pieced pattern of Darth Vader. Printed it out. Decided it wasn't the most complex pattern I'd ever seen, and then procrastinated. Why is it that even the easiest pattern becomes harder, the closer to the deadline you get?

I tackled it head on yesterday morning. Mia played nicely all morning and by lunch time, Darth was fully pieced. By the end of the afternoon I had a finished cushion! Miracles do happen and all you have to do is get on with it and stop procastinating. I couldn't believe how easily I got this pieced. I prepare quite carefully when I'm foundation piecing: I trace the pattern onto freezer paper first: all the pieces, marking the corners and intersections freehand, then joining the dots with a ruler. I score the seam lines with the back side of my very smart seam ripper (a recent hand-made gift from a relative - isn't it gorgeous?)



I roughly work out how big a square/rectangular/rotary-cutable piece of fabric I need for each piece, I'm generous at this point. Part of me wants to be really stingy and reduce wastage, but the reality is that the whole experience will be much more enjoyable with wiggle room. I then cut all of the fabric for the whole project in one go - this is more time efficient because often I can cut a strip off a fat quart and then sub cut it, rather than cutting each piece individually. And then I match up the paper with the fabric, piling the fabric pieces in the order in which I will need them. And then I simply whizz through the piecing. The tutorial I learned freezer paper foundation piecing from now seems to be a bad link so I can't share, but this was shared recently, and it's pretty close to my process except for the template preparation. This method revolutionised how I foundation piece! And the best bit is, you don't have to tear out the paper at the end.




Back to the cushion: I did some very basic outline quilting, just to hold the layers together, then did another back with a concealed zipper closure! Two in three days! For those of you who haven't read my previous post, this is the tutorial I used! I still don't understand how it works, but it does and it's amazing!

The fabrics are four different Kona solids: black, grey, red and blue, and Pearl Bracelets black on black (do you know how hard it is to find three shades of black?) The backing is more of the red, and I had a red zipper as well. If there's anything harder than finding three shades of black, then it's photographing three shades of black! This is perhaps the best photo of the colours, except the blue.



I'm still not done...

Comments

Heather said…
You certainly do work well under pressure. I`m also a procrastinator...

That pillow is lovely. Its something my guys would love for on the sofa in the basement.

I have an online Christmas Party happening at my blog today, I know my visitors would enjoy viewing your pillow. Please drop by for a visit and add your link should you have time. http://www.heatherpearson.com/2015/12/needlework-tuesdays-online-christmas.html
memmens said…
Well done, it's so good isn't it to get something done in a day. I am totally with you on the Star Wars thing, fortunately no one else in our house is interested either! Hope you get all those last bits made!
Lin said…
Nice finish Jennie - a Dr Who cushion is on my list for next year and I have never paper pieced so will coming back to find your link. What a gorgeous seam ripper! xx
Chao said…
The force is with this pillow, I'm an avid fan of star wars as well as my husband who started collecting memorabilia during his teenage years. I think this would be a great addition to his collection.

Buy Haberdashery Online

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more