Skip to main content

Farmer's Wife Quilt [redirection]

I started my 1930s Farmer's Wife in September. I now have 20 blocks!


The observant amongst you may be aware that these blocks look somewhat different to the blocks I've shared so far...



Because I've started again. I just didn't love the blocks I'd made. Some of them I love individually. These will no doubt become something one day. But all together they just weren't speaking to me. So I stopped making them and fell behind the two-blocks-a-week schedule. Then, at the start of December I accidentally bought myself 20 fat quarters of Simply Colorful II from our local quilt shop. It was an unplanned, spur of the moment decision. And it took me a few weeks to convince myself that perhaps these were the fabrics I'd been looking for. It's been a long time since I made myself a quilt from a single fabric line. I've added Kona solid in what I think is bleached white and found a couple of extra fat quarters from other sources!

I was planning on blogging about these blocks before now, but was waiting for a new camera charger, and then waiting for a nice day to photo them. It has rained solidly all week since the charger arrived, so I've given in and you get indoor photos. I hope you're sitting comfortably....


Rotary cut

Foundation pieced

Foundation pieced

English paper pieced

Rotary cut

Rotary cut

Rotary cut 
Rotary cut

Foundation pieced (centre) and rotary cut

Foundation pieced

English Paper Pieced

Rotary cut

Rotary cut

Rotary cut

Rotary cut

Rotary cut

Rotary cut

Rotary cut 
Foundation pieced

Rotary cut

I am definitely happier with these blocks! And I promise more regular updates with fewer photos in the future!

Comments

I agree with you that these colours look much nicer. You find use for the first blocks. In quilting nothing is ever lost!
Lin said…
I love the new colour combo Jennie - it's going to look stunning. xx
Anthea said…
What a pretty parade Jennien - you've been a busy girl - I love-love-love your new fabrics - can't wait to see them all come together!
I love your new colour choices, it's going to be a stunning quilt!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more