This finish has been a long time coming. I was sure it would be a finish in the first quarter of the year. And just as sure it would be a finish in the second quarter. But at one point I was unsure it would be a third quarter finish. This is the Moccasin block of the Month pattern from Gen X Quilters for 2015.
I started out in January 2015 and kept up to date until we moved house. Inevitably there was a bit of a break in the block production. In May 2015 I pulled myself back up to date but ended up with a Dresden block that was way too big. I got disheartened and put it away. In November 2015 I finally got my act together and remade that Dresden block and with the momentum from that, I finished making all the rest of the blocks. Which was why I was so convinced it could be a first quarter finish.
But it wasn't until mid June 2016 that I finally pieced the quilt top. And that was only because I wanted to use the leftover fabrics for other things! I managed to find a backing fabric in the sale section at a local quilt shop - £4/metre! And I was pretty pleased with the pattern match I got on it! Spot the seam!
I had great plans for the quilting. But both my machines are not happy with free motion quilting at the moment and I haven't got round to having them serviced. So I made the somewhat dubious decision that done is better than perfect and I would do some walking foot quilting in the background areas and then hand quilt the blocks. It took all of two hours to do the machine quilting. I then spent my enforced week on the sofa quilting the blocks by hand.
And that dubious decision turned out to be the best decision ever. I thoroughly enjoyed the quilting and I love the finished look and texture. I used Finca #16 perle thread in five colours, navy, dark green, light green, blue and pink, and went for organic, rustic quilting. This means that the lines aren't all straight and the stitches aren't all the same size but I'm calling it a design decision.
The finished quilt is 65" x 65". And this is a Finish Along finish! You can find my original list here and I'm hopeful I can sneak a few more last minute finishes in in the next couple of days!