Skip to main content

Mixed Up City [A Finish]

This quilt came about after a friend asked me to make a quilt for her to gift. The remit was purple, pink, orange, yellow and green, and it had to include the names of the children in the family.

This is the best photo I have of the finished quilt!

I was piecing blocks from Tula Pink's City Sampler book at the time, and decided to use them, but to go a a bit crazy, with some of the originally-6"-blocks up-sized to 12" or 9", and a fair few in the original 6" size and then set in random fashion with filler squares and strips. The names are raw-edge appliqued using a machine blanket stitch.

I started by picking out the Kona fabrics for orange, yellow, green, pink and purple, and adding in a couple of extra shades of each. From there I raided my stash for prints. I designed the layout in five sections, each name, surrounded by blocks and fillers, and avoiding Y-seams and partial seams. And whereas I normally hate sashing, I really enjoyed putting this one together.

The backing is an Asda duvet in grey (so that the men of the family can have a more manly side when they are using it), and I quilted an all over large-scale stipple, with the odd daisy and heart thrown in here and there. The binding is scrappy, cut from the fabrics I'd used in the quilt. The finished quilt is 78" x 66" - perfect for an afternoon of movies and popcorn!

This was on my original Q3 Finish Along list, which you can find here.


Comments

It's wonderful! *waves pompoms*
Judith, Belfast said…
A beautiful and thoughtful, bright quilt! Well done on your Q3 finish.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more