Skip to main content

Ninety-eight, ninety-nine, ONE HUNDRED

That's right - one hundred Farmer's Wife blocks!

But first, we are enjoying summer here this weekend - it may be all we get! Yesterday we helped some friends clear and turf their garden and enjoyed a BBQ followed by Eurovision and some hand sewing! Today, I've been working on these little blocks, but we've just got back from taking the dogs down to the beach. We live just over half a mile from the beach, but don't go down there nearly as often as we should. Tonight was so calm and the sky was a little hazy so you got a pastel rainbow effect along the horizon. Needless to say, the photos don't do it justice.

The pier

Michael and the dogs

The beach huts

So, on to the blocks - I have 12 to show you:
#44 Gentleman's Fancy: foundation pieced

#45 Grape Baskets: if you haven't noticed by now, I don't like basket blocks, so I replaced it with the old favourite, Card Trick, rotary cut.

#47 Homemaker. I have to say that this block beat me. I really like it, but just couldn't get it to work - I even tried English paper piecing technique to get the Y-Seams. The result wasn't even square, let alone 6x6" square. So I gave up. I'm not proud. I replaced it with Greek Cross from Faith's Summer Sampler Series.Which is basically a churn dash block but with different colour placement, but I really like it. After a few emails with Melinda, I have decided to have a go at hand piecing this block, maybe during my summer holiday, but maybe not in time for it to be included in the final quilt - thanks Melinda. But for now, block #47 is Greek Cross (rotary cut).

#56 Maple Leaf - this one was dead quick, rotary cut.

#57 Morning: last year I made the Weathervane block from the foundation pieced templates, which is the same blocks, different colour placement, and it ended in Y-Seams. Worse still, unnecessary Y-Seams. So this one was definitely rotary cut and was nice and straightforward!

#62 Old Windmill. I couldn't work out the colour placement in this block... so I decided not to do it. Instead I did one of my favourite simple blocks - Evening Star. Rotary cut.

#67 Pine Tree. I don't like tree blocks either. So I replaced this one too. This is Nifty Star from 100 Traditional and Contemporary Quilt Blocks. Rotary cut.

#75 Rosebud. I foundation pieced this one, but forgot to mirror the pattern, so my roses spin the opposite way to those in the book!

#84 Spool: Rotary cut - I'm so pleased I left some easy one till the end!

#85 Square dance: not sure about the fabrics I used on this one...

#91 Strawberry baskets.... baskets.... uh, no. I replaced this one with a variation on Cathie's Campfire from the Dear Jane book. The only difference is that in the DJ version, the corners are solid squares rather than HSTs. Does anyone know if this variation has a name? I really like how it turned out and it it looks fab on point!

and finally.... # 93 Swallow. Rotary cut.

Are you still with me? Just eleven more blocks to go.... of course, so much time on the Farmer has meant that I didn't get a quilt made for Jenna's Play quilt-along. But I have loads of ideas, and there's no reason I can't make a quilt on this theme in the future - sorry Jenna!

Comments

Cherie said…
Wow you're really making a dent in that number! Great looking blocks and an interesting choice of fabric =D
Nic said…
Congrats on reaching 100. These blocks are beautiful. Looking forward to you finishing the last 11 so we can see you start to put it together. Have you decided what you're using for sashing?
100?! that's awesome! i'm making a card trick block for my quilt, too :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more