Skip to main content

Finish Along: Quarter 3

On Sunday I linked up my Quarter 3 finishes for Rhonda at Quilter in the Gap's Finish Along

2012 Finish-A-Long
Obviously ten projects was a bit ambitious. It turned out to be a bit over-ambitious. I finished 6, worked on the three of the remaining four and totally ignored one! There were three finishes in July and three in September.

The first finish was the Rainbow Churn Dash Quilt for Joshua. There's nothing new about the churn dash block, but I love it. And I love rainbows so put the two ideas together with fabrics from my stash and ended up with a quilt for a little baby boy.

Then I tackled the two big quilts that I started as Quilt-Alongs back in January: Swoon: Happy Mochi Yum Yum paired with bright red. Another two favourites. I spent the first half of the year working on Free Motion Quilting and finally felt comfortable tackling this. I did a small scale stipple over all of the red, leaving the stars free to pop. I love the red and white striped binding!



And Oh My Stars in Dogwood Trail (Moda) - really I was looking for an excuse to use this fabric - which is a bit more floral than my normal taste. I quilted this in a very similar style to Swoon - a small scale stipple on the background fabric leaving the stars to pop. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the finished quilt, but Mum has adopted it.

Then there was August, and I didn't finish any of the things from my Finish Along list.

In September I finished Papillon 1. There will eventually be two of these quilts as two Christmas presents - identical except for the border fabric. I finished one, and started the second.


Then I got a new walking foot and needed to practice with it before tackling a big quilt. So I basted my Mini Swoon. I really had resigned myself to the fact that this hang over from quarter 2 would stay on the WIP list. But opportunity knocked and it was quilted and bound within a few days. I love it, especially the effect of the quilting on the back, but I don't know what to do with now. I did add tabs on the corners in case I want to hang it.

And then a second baby quilt. This one was for Sebastian who is still very very little. It's 35 Farmer's Wife blocks - I was missing them. All different greens and white, quilted in straight lines as a practice run for my big Farmer's Wife Quilt.

So that leaves three quilts that didn't quite make it:

The Farmer's Wife. I September had been another two weeks, I may have got this done, because I'm really not far off. In fact if it hadn't been for the Finish Along, this quilt may have still been in pieces in the box, because the sashing nearly drove me mad. It really is my least favourite part. But wow, was it worth it. It's currently sittingon my sewing machine, half quilted. Maybe this will be my first finish of Q4.

Steph's quilt. I'm struggling with this one. I'm finding the process quite uninspiring. But I did manage a few more blocks. Her 22nd Birthday is Saturday. It won't be finished. This is another project that will roll over to Q4. I really really should just get on with it!

Papillon 2 was the other quilt that i worked on but didn't finish. I've sewn all the strips together, but not cut the triangles yet.

And the unloved project was Daniela's quilt. I haven't forgotten it, but there isn't any urgency attached to it. Or wasn't until I got a surprise parcel at work last week stuffed full of chocolate covered marzipan (my favourite) and a jar of Fliederbeer und Apfel marmalade (Elderberry and Apple Jam) - to keep me going while I'm working on the quilt. This will roll over onto Q4, but I think the best I can really hope for is to move it forward rather than finish it. But we'll start off optimistically :)

How did you do?

Comments

What a lovely quilts! It's must feel so good to finish them off.
Leanne said…
Your quilts are beautiful and your plan for finishing the last ones is good. I especially love the churn dash one, that block is just so happy.
Grit said…
You do wonderful work.
I love all quilts, but the Starquilt is my favorite.
Liebe Grüße Grit

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more