Monday, 29 October 2012

MSM Swap Round Two: Place mats and Embroidery

I have the week off work this week - heaven. My Mum has come to stay and we're indulging our hobbies: Mum does water colour painting and I do patchwork!

Today's focus was the embroidery on the place mats I'm making for round two of the Modern She Made Swap. I'm making a set of four place mats that together make a star within a star within a star....


Two of the place mats will have an embroidered panel and two will have applique, and today I finished off one of each. Firstly, here's the applique


And here is the embroidery:



It's my own design and drawn freehand. I'm using DMC threads to coordinate with the fabrics, and a mixture of backstitch, french knots, satin stitch, chain stitch, running stitch and cross stitch. I then added a few hexagons - the edges are 1/4" long. Nice and fiddly!

I need some more supplies before I can finish these off. But I have plenty of other things to be playing with for the rest of my week off! I picked the fabrics for my Hoop La La swap item:
I'll be adding a tiny piece of black to these nice citrussy colours - if my idea works!

I hope my partners like them!

4 comments:

Sharon - Lilabelle Lane said...

You are so lever. Looking or ward to seeing what eventuates for the hoop-la-la swap. Hugs

Karen M said...

Are you actually going to let people eat on those beautiful placemats? They are worthy of being hung for people to admire. Very pretty.

Nic said...

They look great. Hope you're enjoying your week off

Cherie said...

Wow I totally want to be your partner! Those are such awesome embroidery designs....but alas I did't ask for placemats...