Sunday, 30 December 2012

Braided Chain [finished]

Before Christmas I showed you five quilts that needed basting, quilting, binding. Before Christmas I finished four of them. I knew that the fifth would not be gifted until my parents went home, so I had until they left to get it finished. We had a quiet day on 27th so I used the opportunity to my Braided Chain quilt finished.

I really struggled to photograph this quilt so that the sashing colour showed the right colour. A lot of the photos show it quite orangy, but it is actually pink - this first photo is perhaps one of the closest to the correct colour.
pre-washing
I started this quilt way back in February with a Cabbages and Roses Jelly Roll from Northcott as a class at my LQS. The pattern is from Pam and Nicky Lintott's "More Layer Cake, Jelly Roll and Charm Quilts".
post-washing crinkle
The backing is one of the fabrics my Gran gave me over the summer. There was over 3 metres and it was a perfect match to the fabric I'd used on the front. It's a Robert Kaufmann fabric (but I can't remember which).
post-washing again
I quilted the patchwork panels with a free motion stipple (really need to learn some more techniques in 2013!).

Normally I don't wash quilts before gifting them, but I knew the recipient may struggle to wash this monster herself, so we washed it and it now looks all beautiful and crinkly.

The finished quilt (before washing) is 64"x76" and I bound it with a scrappy binding made with all the left over Jelly Roll strips.

This may be my final link up for the 2012 Finish Along. But there is still some time for a sneaky finish, so you never know!

2012 Finish-A-Long

And Leanne announced yesterday on her blog that she will be the hostess with the mostess for the 2013 Finish Along - I was so thrilled, as this Finish Along has really pushed me to finish some quilts that may have otherwise not been finished. So here's her button too!

she can quilt

1 comment:

Leanne said...

What a lovely finish, your quilt is so pretty. And there is that button I made, I am so glad you will be part of the FAL this coming year.