Skip to main content

Braided Chain [finished]

Before Christmas I showed you five quilts that needed basting, quilting, binding. Before Christmas I finished four of them. I knew that the fifth would not be gifted until my parents went home, so I had until they left to get it finished. We had a quiet day on 27th so I used the opportunity to my Braided Chain quilt finished.

I really struggled to photograph this quilt so that the sashing colour showed the right colour. A lot of the photos show it quite orangy, but it is actually pink - this first photo is perhaps one of the closest to the correct colour.
pre-washing
I started this quilt way back in February with a Cabbages and Roses Jelly Roll from Northcott as a class at my LQS. The pattern is from Pam and Nicky Lintott's "More Layer Cake, Jelly Roll and Charm Quilts".
post-washing crinkle
The backing is one of the fabrics my Gran gave me over the summer. There was over 3 metres and it was a perfect match to the fabric I'd used on the front. It's a Robert Kaufmann fabric (but I can't remember which).
post-washing again
I quilted the patchwork panels with a free motion stipple (really need to learn some more techniques in 2013!).

Normally I don't wash quilts before gifting them, but I knew the recipient may struggle to wash this monster herself, so we washed it and it now looks all beautiful and crinkly.

The finished quilt (before washing) is 64"x76" and I bound it with a scrappy binding made with all the left over Jelly Roll strips.

This may be my final link up for the 2012 Finish Along. But there is still some time for a sneaky finish, so you never know!

2012 Finish-A-Long

And Leanne announced yesterday on her blog that she will be the hostess with the mostess for the 2013 Finish Along - I was so thrilled, as this Finish Along has really pushed me to finish some quilts that may have otherwise not been finished. So here's her button too!

she can quilt

Comments

Leanne said…
What a lovely finish, your quilt is so pretty. And there is that button I made, I am so glad you will be part of the FAL this coming year.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more