Skip to main content

Christmas Presents 2012

You may have realised I'm making a lot of my Christmas presents this year. The problem is, in ten days time the big day will be nearly over. And none of my Christmas presents are finished...

I have banned my parents from reading my blog for the next ten days so tonight I can show some progress! Here is a picture of Charlie, so if Mum loads the web page, she can read this far, realise she shouldn't go any further and log off, before seeing anything!



First up, my Dad's Christmas present. Inspired by this cushion (I WILL be making one of these in the new year for MYSELF), I'm making a notebook cover. It will take an A4 notebook when I'm done (I hope). I asked my dad what his favourite colours were, and he said he didn't know, but nothing bright. I'm not very good at "not bright", so I had some help from Nicola picking the fabrics.I think they are from Collections for a Cause. Here they are together.

I wobbly-line quilted it, and then embroidered the outline of the UK to the front.

Normally when I embroider, I place the design behind the fabric and trace through with a pencil. But I couldn't see through the cream fabric (and yes, I tried before I layered it up), and even held up against the window, there was no way I could see it well enough. So I used Golden Threads, which is a bit like tissue paper, and is what I always use to use for foundation pieceing. I traced the design onto it, then tacked the paper to the quilt sandwich and embroidered through, then tore away the paper. It wouldn't be my first choice technique, and it was harder than my regular way of doing things, but it turned out really well.

I am undecided whether to embroider some special place names echoing the line of the pieced strip. I will see how time goes tomorrow.

Also today, I finally made a start on my Mum's Christmas present. She really liked the place mats I made for the Modern She Made Swap Round two, and had been looking at place mats when she visited in October, so I checked with her (it's safer that way - she's not really keen on surprises) and she said she would love a set herself, but wasn't keen on the grey, so I suggested black to match some mug rugs I made her for last Christmas.

Back in February I signed up for the New York Beauty Quilt Along, and never made a single block. I decided instead of a star as I did for the swap, I would use these foundation piecing patterns. I got the pattern here. And I used the freezer paper method. And in just a few hours I had got to here.

It's turned out so pretty! I love it. There obviously needs to be some more black added and there will be embroidery too, but I've finally made a start, so it feels achievable now.

And finally, there is a lovely lady in the canteen at work called Hazel - it's like having your mum at work and we all love her to bits. So I wanted to make her a little something for Christmas. I know her favourite colour is purple so I used some recent Art Gallery purchases and the ribbon I received from Cori in the Hoop La La swap and made a Christmas ornament a la my recent pincushion with English Paper Piecing.

I haven't started quilting the pile of five quilts yet - maybe tomorrow!

Comments

Diane-crewe said…
well done .. at least you have made a start xx
Nic said…
Good luck getting everything finished.
Love the NYB placemats you're making. I'm sure your mum will be thrilled with them

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more