Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday [Happy New Year]

So it's the start of the new year, and as with last year, I'm going to try and link up weekly with WIP Wednesday - it's a really useful way of blogging at least weekly and keeping track of what I'm up to. This week I've been up to a fair few bits and pieces, but I've spent quite a lot of hours on the Essential Sampler quilt. If you've followed me for a while, I declared this quilt as unloved in September, as it had been lying around since early 2011 and untouched for most of that time. Having declared it unloved, I spent a week working on it and falling back in love with it.
Progress by the end of September
I made such good progress that I optimistically added it to my Finish Along list for Q4. And then Christmas happened, and Christmas sewing took over, and I didn't touch it for three months. With the end of the quarter drawing near, I pulled it out again. With just a few days left, there was no way I would it in time for the link up. So it will reappear on my Q1 2015 list. But it's also my January goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes. 
And tonight, modelled by the new baby gate, nicknamed Alcatraz
In the last few days I finished quilting the individual blocks, I joined the final two rows of five blocks, and then I added those two rows to each side of the quilt. I'm using a technique for joining QAYG blocks that I will never ever use again - I have to trim the top fabric to an accurate square and join it to it's nighbour, whilst keeping the btting and the backing oversized and pinned out the way. I then head for ironing board and lay the two pieces of batting on top of each other and trim (batting only - being careful not to catch the front). Optimistically the two pieces now much up. And I add some batting tape. Then the backing. I trim it silghtly, then fold over one edge while overlapping the other, hiding all raw edges and press it. Then I slip stitch it in place by hand. OMG. The short joins between the individual blocks aren't too bad, but the long seams... I will not miss this. And there is no way the seam lines on the back match!
Don't you love the backing fabric? My Mum hates it, but it hides a lot of sins!
I have just one long seam to slip stitch! I really hope to have this as a finish soon!

Linking up with WIP Wednesday!

Comments

Gemini Jen NZ said…
ooh, that does sound like a complicated way to QAYG! The quilt is looking really cool though...good luck with your FAL 2015 goals, I plan to add mine as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more