There was a match. So rather than carry on making whales, I grabbed towel and flannel, and made a hooded towel. I don't know why I'd been procrastinating (both were clearly on view for the last few weeks in my room). It took a full half an hour.
I winged it a bit: I cut the flannel (face cloth) in half diagonally, and sewed it wrong sides together with a triangle of flannel (brushed cotton?) the same size along the longest side, then turned it through and top stitched the seam. I basted it to one corner of the towel, then used the rest of the flannel (brushed cotton) to make some binding. I added the binding all the way round and ta-dah!
I hindsight, I should have been more careful with my seam allowance, and maybe cut the binding 3" instead of 2.5" as there were quite a few chunky layers especially round the hood. But I am chuffed to bits with this very quick finish. I have a few more to make, but either need to buy more flannel, or decide to use regular quilting cotton to line the hood and bind it. The one unknown is how the two materials will shrink when I wash them (neither are pre-washed - I'm too lazy). But with a little more finesse this would make a great present - my sister-in-law has already put in a request!
And because this post is word heavy - another picture. I found this beautiful fabric during my lunch break today. I'm desperately looking for something to make with it to justify buying lots of it!