Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday [nursery hoops]

We are moving house. Just five minutes round the corner. It seems like there is tonnes to do, so of course I'm focussing on the important stuff... in the new house, Mia will have a much (much) larger nursery and a bigger room means more wall space. I've decided I'd like to fill it with embroidery hoops, much like this pin. And Michael is happy to go along with it.

libertyfull.jpg
http://www.purlbee.com/2007/03/02/liberty-of-london-swatch-portraits/
I've spent far too long on Pinterest gathering ideas - you can find my inspiration board here, and this week I've finally started. The plan is that a lot of the hoops will have embroidery, or applique or even small piecing, but I'm also on the look out for some pretty fabrics which would be a focal in themselves, unadulterated by me. This isn't the type of fabric I tend to stash, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled as I go fabric shopping - any excuse!

This was the first hoop I completed: no particular reason or special meaning. It's a 10" hoop, the text print is a Timeless Treasures fabric which I picked up a while back from Sew Me A Song and the birds are a black batik. I used a lightweight fusible to attach them raw edge, and then did a small running stitch all round the edges by hand in black silk thread.


This hoop is more significant: it's just 4", the background is a dark purple Oakshott, and the white feather is for my father-in-law, John - Mia's Granddad, who passed away nearly 6 years ago. The white is Anchor #16 perle thread.

My baby girl already has quite the head-strong personality. It was inevitable really. And this hoop summed it up: "let her sleep, for when she wakes, she will move mountains". The background fabric is Painters Canvas and the embroidery is done using #16 Finca Perle. This one is an 8" hoop.

And I've made a start on a fourth hoop, though this one will definitely keep me busy for a while. I see a lot of French knots in my future. The thread is #16 Finca perle again, and the background fabric is from the Durham range (I think).


I have loads of ideas waiting in the wings (and on my Pinterest board), and generally these little hoops are nice quick projects to work on in the evenings. Moving date is still 7 weeks (agh!) away, so I hope to have quite a little pile ready for the new nursery.

I would love to make something like 20 hoops to start, then longer term, when Mia moves out of the nursery and the next baby comes along, some of the hoops will move with her, and over time I will make her more hoops for her new bedroom - maybe to note birthdays or firsts (the first tooth she loses or her first day at school for example). I would then make some new hoops to fill the gaps in the nursery for the new baby.

Linking up with WIP Wednesday!

Comments

Lin said…
What a lovely idea Jennie especially the ones to mark special occasions. xx
Lovely idea with the hoops. I made one a long time ago, don't even know where it is. Some time ago I made one just with fabric, to pin notes on.
Allison said…
Oh, it's all too easy to get lost on Pinterest.

Your hoops look great - the birds and feather are my favorites.
Cherie said…
Such a cute idea! Hoops can look so good even with a simple design.
Laura Chaney said…
What a lovely idea for a nursery wall! It looks like it's coming together beautifully!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more