Thursday, 26 February 2015

Trellis [a {lovely} finish]

February was a month for slow sewing. My weekends have been very busy and in the evenings I'm more inclined to sit with some hand sewing than sit at my sewing machine. I also felt pretty uninspired by most of the items on my Finish Along list, which is normally the basis for my ALYOF goal. With just a few hours before the end of the link-up I picked Trellis, which was pieced and basted. Theoretically, quilting wouldn't take long....

And once I sat down and did it, it didn't take long, and I now have a finished baby quilt ready to gift to its little owner (who is now a few months old).


The idea for the quilt came from a fat quarter bundle (Flo's Garden from Makower) I'd forgotten I'd bought and a block I saw on Instagram. I can't remember now who had posted it, but it was someone in Australia. I loved the secondary pattern created by repeating the blocks, so worked out the measurements, raided my stash for some coordinating solids and within a very short time, I had a quilt to.


For the backing I managed to pick up yardage of the apple print in a sale at our LQS. When it came to quilting I outlined and stippled the white, and outlined the printed panels - what I like to call stitching near the ditch!

And the binding - I used the same red for the binding as I had in the quilt, mostly because I had enough on hand. But it was perfect and really turned this quilt from ok to great (at least in my eyes)!

So, I'm cutting it fine but I will be linking up this finish as my February success in A Lovely Year of Finishes

And in a month or so I'll link up with Adrianne for the Finish Along

2015 FAL at On the Windy Side

5 comments:

Sandy said...

Congrats on your finish! It looks great.

Ada Kopitopoulou said...

The quilt looks great! You'll make the little owner's mom very happy, and yourself of course, because you finished it!

Lin said...

Lovely. xx

Gemini Jen NZ said...

Beautiful work and what a super backing for it too!

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

This is really lovely!