It's been a fair few months in the works this quilt. But it is finally finished and it has to be one of the coolest quilts I've ever made. I can take little credit for that, however, as it's mostly down to the fabulous pattern by Elizabeth Hartman. Let's be honest, I've even stolen her fabric placement.
The whales are all made from solids, all except one are Kona solids - a bright pink Art Gallery slipped in to make up the numbers!
The quilting is quick and simple cross hatch at 3" intervals.
The binding was very nearly a disaster. I cut the binding fabric in advance, making use of the rarest of events - a clear cutting table. And then a couple of weeks passed. And then we did some packing. And of course, the binding I had cut disappeared entirely. I even unpacked boxes looking for, but it is gone. So the next step was to pull out the remaining fabric. I looked at it, laughed in desparation and shoved it back in the box - there was no way I could get enough binding out of it. And my Kona colour card is packed, so I couldn't match it (and that box was at the bottom of the pile). It also meant I couldn't colour match any of the whales as an alternative. I pulled out the piece of fabric and remeasured. If I shrunk the binding to just 2" cut I could get just enough out. So I did. When i came to joining the two ends together I trimmed just 2" off. Phew. And I really like the narrow binding in the end!
This will be winging its way to the baby who is now 6 months old in the next few days! Better late than never. In order to push this quilt to the top of the priority pile, I set this as my goal for March for A Lovely Year of Finishes (link up no. 43)...