Skip to main content

Hair Clips

Anyone who has a little girl must be able to relate to my problem: hair clips. You start with matching pairs. In a pot. In the bedroom. And within just a few days you end up with no matching pairs and clips scattered throughout the house, in the car, in pockets. In fact, everywhere.

Mia loves her clips and bobbles. I'm not such a fan, so I started hunting on Pinterest (read, wasting time on Pinterest) looking for a tutorial to make some kind of pretty hair clip pouch thing. I found loads, but it was often from the same non-existent source. Or they were for sale rather than providing a tutorial. That was a couple of months ago. I even picked out some pretty fabrics.



Yesterday I got a sudden urge to get my arse in gear and actually make it. And after all of the procrastination it took just a couple of hours.



Briefly, this is what I did: Fabric and cutting:
  • Exterior fabric: 6" x 16.5"
  • Interior fabric: 6" x 16.5"
  • Wadding: approx 7" x 18"
  • Pocket interior: cut a rectangle 9.5" x 5.5". Lay with the longest edge closest to you and mark 1.75" in from each end. Cut an angle from this mark to the top corner to give a trapezoid shape. These triangle shaped ends will form the sides of the pocket.
  • Pocket exterior: cut as interior above
  • Light-weight iron on interfacing: cut as pocket exterior above.
  • Ribbon: two lengths 17" - I used a 1/2" width ribbon and would suggest not going narrower.
  • Hairband (grown up one, not child one)
  • Matching button.
  • Matching thread
And here's how - I hope this is clear... I used 1/4" seam allowance throughout.
  1. Fuse interfacing to exterior pocket piece.
  2. Place exterior pocket and interior pocket pieces right sides together (RST) and sew along the longest edge only. Turn right side out, press the seam back on itself and then top stitch the seam you've just sewn. Lengthen the stitch length and tack the remaining sides together to prevent movement in the next steps.
  3. Fold both the short edges over so that the top seams are lined up and the interior fabric is on the inside. Press in place. Put the pocket piece to one side.
  4. Take the interior fabric and lay it on the wadding. Lay the ribbon lengthways along the fabric, evenly spaced and tack or pin in place. Quilt through all the layers across the width, catching the ribbon each time. I quilted about 2.5" apart. Trim the wadding back to the size of the fabric.
  5. You now need to tack the pocket in place on the bottom of the interior piece. Lengthen the stitch length and position the pocket. I used wonderclips to hold it in place. Line up the raw edges of the pocket with the rraw edges of the interior fabric. Tack within the seam allowance.
  6. Using wonderclips again, flatten the pocket so that the gape is away from the edges. Place the interior and exterior fabrics right sides together, and pin/clip together. 
  7. Position the hairband so that half of it is between the interior and exterior fabrics and the other half hangs out beyond the fabrics. Pin or tack in place centrally on the top edge - this hair band has a tendency to move...
  8. Stitch around the edge using a 1/4" seam allowance, leaving a gap for turning. Do not leave the gap anywhere near the pocket. Ask me how I know.... reverse stitch at the beginning and end.
  9. Trim the corners, and the hairband excess and turn through, poking out the corners.
  10. Top stitch all the way around, closing the gap as you go.
  11. Press flat. Make sure that the ribbon will stand up to the iron before you go for it. Again - ask me how I know!
  12. Fold the fabric round the pocket (as shown below) and work out where to attach the button, so that the hairband can loop round it and hold it shut. Attach the button. If I were doing this again I would have a smaller hoop of hair band so the button doesn't sit quite so low to the bottom of the pouch. I'd also try and get the hairband more central...


Ta-dah! I have hung Mia's next to her changing table using a command hook. The pocket at the bottom is great for bobbles as well as her hairbrush.

If you have a go using this bare-bones tutorial and get stuck, just let me know and I'll try and help out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more