Saturday, 17 September 2016
#365QuiltChallenge [catching up]
Ever since Jess was born I have been behind on this project, I knew it would happen: any sensible person would not have chosen a year in which a new baby was expected, to do a block of the day challenge. But I've been determined to catch up... At its worst I was about 84 blocks behind and the catch up has been incremental: I would have a spurt and make 15 blocks in a day, but then not make anymore for ten days, so the reality was I had only caught up five blocks! A block every day is absolutely unrelenting!
It's been a while since I shared the journey here on my blog so I thought it was about time I did: April, May and June could not have been a worse time for falling behind. We moved on from the 3" blocks: whilst some of the three inch blocks were truly ridiculous in terms of number and size of pieces, this was nothing compared to some of the 6" blocks that were to come!
July and August brought respite: or so I thought... back to the 3" blocks. I have learned that you can actually fit quite a lot of pieces in a 3" block. Especially when the piece of fabric you're cutting is just 7/8" - that means more seam allowance than fabric on the front!
And here is another picture of the quilt top so far: I added the light borders a few days ago and it transformed the whole thing. It's not the most enjoyable part of the project - there are a lot of points that can be easily lost, and a lot of pins to get in and out. But it feels so good when it's done!
I am still thoroughly enjoying nearly everything about this project. I say nearly... its all-consuming nature means I've fallen behind on some other projects which I'm missing. Hopefully, now that I'm caught up, I can keep on top of this monster and I can spend time catching up on some other projects. Although given the fact I am typing this one-handed while holding Jess, she may have other ideas!