Lots of bloggers are talking about finishing some UFOs in 2013, and I've been making a list of all of my projects. I came across one I haven't really shown you before!
The pattern is called "Romantic Hearts" and it was a class at a quilt shop near over two year ago. The sample quilt was in very traditional flowery rosey delicate fabrics. Not me at all. So I picked some slightly less delicate fabrics and renamed it my Rhubarb and Custard Quilt! Some of the fabrics are Sweethearts by Benartex, there's a red batik, and then some unknowns - I bought the fabrics back when I didn't bother to remember names, and the selvages are long gone.
Originally this beautiful stripe was going to be the sashing - I know - a bit too much. I'm now planning on using it for the binding and I have bought the brown to calm it down a little bit! The big red flowers are the sashing for the back. This is not going to be a subtle quilt!
The hearts are reverse applique and it's made up using the quilt as you go technique, and I have quilted as I've gone and now need to trim and sash. One of the reason this has sat unloved for nearly two years is that I didn't really know how to sash it - then I saw this video (which show's Leah Day's technique) linked from Alyssa's Skill Builder introduction post and the penny dropped!
I'm going to put this quilt on my Finish Along list for Q1 - I need to trim all of the blocks, sash and bind - sounds straighforward doesn't it! But just to make it a little more difficult, the back is supposed to be a chequerboard pattern, so I have to get the blocks in exactly the right place back and front!