Skip to main content

Mini Mix Tapes (A {lovely} finish)

This evening I completed my mini quilt for the IG Mini Swap!



And an interesting bit of fussy cutting!

It started as a single half-sized mix tape block I made on a whim. I made this lonely block eight friends in loads of different scraps of fabric, then wrapped them all in a huge amount of white fabric.
I even pressed it before I basted it!

That huge amount of white open space required quilting. It's a like a garden after fresh snowfall - I couldn't wait to make loads of footprints in it.

I spent most of yesterday quilting this up, and I will confess that by the time I had finished I had a few doubts. I wasn't sure about the curve in the quilting - straight diagonal lines may have been better.... but thanks to the lovely people of Instagram, I think I'm happy with it again.

I picked some of my favourite tried and tested free motion motifs - matchsticks, circles and figure eights - I also added in some fans which I've only done once before, and a brand new pattern of circles and semi circles.

Binding was a challenge. I really wasn't sure what fabric to use. After a bit of help from Instagram and family members I went for Domino Dot in black. I cut it 2.25" wide (narrower than normal for me) and I stitched it by hand to back to make it as narrow as possible.

I'm pleased this is finished - I just need a few extras before the posting deadline of early December, but I'm also pleased how it is finished. I love the mix tape block (obviously) and I'm getting more and more confidence in my free motion quilting, so that I now really enjoy making those first footprints in the snow.


The finished quilt is 24" x 24". It's pieced and quilted in Aurifil 50w.
Fabrics included: the background is Kona white; the backing (not shown) is Ikea Nummer Britten (not very original); the binding is Domino Dot in black; other selected fabrics include:Cotton and Steel basics; Pearl Bracelets; Dreamin Vintage from Art Gallery; Nature Elements from Art Gallery; Tula Pink; Color Me Happy from Moda; Kona solids; a little bit of Bonnie and Camille from Moda; Carnaby Street from Art Gallery....

Just a quick footnote: you may have seen my original mix tape quilt a few weeks ago. I made it for a thirteen-year-old who needs a heart transplant. Over the last few days she has deteriorated. If prayer is what you do, then please include her in your thoughts. If prayer isn't your thing, please cross you fingers that a heart can be found for her in the next few days.


The mini mix tapes quilt is my goal for November in A Lovely Year of Finishes

A Lovely Year of Finishes 
And was also on my Q4 Finish Along list.

Finish Along 2014

Comments

Ellyn said…
this is so wonderful! I loved watching it come together on instagram & I think the curved quilting adds some wonderful movement to the quilt. Whoever gets it will be very lucky (which group are you in?). Also, praying for a heart...
pennydog said…
Brilliant quilting. Crossing my fingers...
Wendy said…
The quilting is just beautiful! I love that it curves, it adds so much interest. So sad to hear about the little girl.
Anita said…
Lovely modern quilt, and the quilting is very appropriate!
jednoiglec said…
Oh, you've pieced so many wonderful mix tapes! Quilt looks wonderful and the quilting is great!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more