Skip to main content

Power of Nine Quilt Top

Here's my latest quilt top finish. It's a mini version of the Power of Nine Block of the Month by Rebecca Mae Designs. When I first saw the quilt back in December I knew I wanted to do it - I loved the setting. But I had no purpose for the quilt. Sometime I'll make quilts with no purpose, or rather, for me. But I couldn't justify this quilt on that basis (especially the cost). I decided to shrink the block size to 6" down from the original 12" and the shrink the sashing similarly.


I was expecting the blocks to be pretty familiar, but with the exception of the favourite Churn Dash and a another couple, each was new to me. Most used the square in a square block or flying geese units with clever colour placement and created fabulous blocks. Here are a couple of my favourites



I have to confess that I didn't follow the instructions from the point where I read to cut the fabric to one-sixteenth accuracy for the 12" blocks... I looked at the pictures and worked out the maths for myself. I foundation pieced the square in a square blocks and the blocks made from three triangles (not sure if they have a name) as I know I get better accuracy that way. And it worked - It's been a while since I made a quilt with such all-round good points.

The finished top is 30" x 39". The fabrics are a mixture from my stash. I think the white is Kona Snow, with four other Kona's for the coloured sashing (I can't remember which). I've then used Architextures and Botanics by Carolyn Friedlander, Comma by Zen Chic, Cotton and Steel basics, Michael Miller Tiles, Sketch and Pearl Bracelets.

And because I haven't shared a photo of Mia for a while, here she is - 11 months old yesterday.

Comments

Deb said…
Those are really nice blocks Jennie. As for wee Mia, what a gorgeous wee poppet. That smile is just infectious, I could look at her all day.
Lin said…
A great finish Jennie and some interesting blocks. Lots of space for some lovely quilting too. Good to see a pic of Mia. xx
Allison said…
It is fun experimenting with different blocks - I've been using some fat quarters and Judy Hopkins' book '501 rotary-Cut Quilt Blocks'to put together blocks for a puzzle quilt.

And little Mia - very cute!
This looks awesome! I love all your fabrics 😍 and Mia is precious! 😊

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more