Skip to main content

Paradiso [a joint finish]

If you've read a few blog posts here you may have realised that I'm not the only quilter in the family. My mother-in-law, Linda, who hates the term "mother-in-law" (it could be worse), is also a quilter. Actually she's mostly a piecer, rather than a quilter, so once she's made the quilt top it gets handed over to me. We tend to baste it together, then I get to quilt it.

Her latest finish was a quilt made from Kate Spain's Paradiso line. She bought a layer cake, which we've split into four charm packs - 2 for her and 2 for me. She supplemented with some coordinating Kona's and made this lap quilt.

It will be a 90th birthday present for the mother of a family friend - I think Linda's quite worried that it's too modern for a 90-year-old. At least she'll be able to see it!

We layered it up with some plain white fabric on the back and then I'm told to "quilt whatever" - free rein to do what I like. But I struggled to decide on a pattern for this. It was calling out for an all over design, but the only all-over I'm really any good at is stipple and that's boring. I was eventually inspired by this post over at The Inbox Jaunt, and quilted 5 daisy motifs in borders, intending to densely quilt the background. In the end I only quilted the daily and left the box empty, then stippled round the the rest of the quilt.


I marked out the daisies with a Frixion pen on the back of the quilt and quilted them from the back of the quilt so I could see the lines and they weren't lost on the patterns on the front. I did the stippling from the front. I had a bit of a disaster moment towards the end of quilting - I knew I was cutting it fine on the thread, and I lost the game of Russian roulette. I had a section about 12" x 24" left when the top thread ran out - I'd been using an Aurifil variegated pink thread, and had to substitute it for Gutermann in pale pink. Luckily the heavy pattern means I've got away with it. The bobbin thread lasted longer.... just a 10" x 6" section left.... more pale pink thread. I think you'd have to be looking for it to notice. I hope.


I also bound the quilt - with some more Paradiso yardage.

There is a queue of three more quilt tops I need to work on - they go back as far as Christmas so these will be appearing on my next Finish Along list.

Comments

Nice quilt your mother-in-law made. Love the daisies!
Lin said…
A lovely finish - both of you! And you are worrying that a 90 year old will notice the thread change!! xx

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more