Skip to main content

A busy weekend




A brief detour from sewing to family....

You may have read in some previous posts that Saturday night was my Mum's "significant" birthday party (we aren't allowed to use the word sixty - ooops - I just did). Michael and Linda (Michael's Mum) and I drove down on Thursday evening. We live as far from the A1 in Northumberland as Mum and Dad do in Bedfordshire - about 20 minutes, so the drive is fairly straightforward normally. Except the A1 was closed at Grantham and the detour took us via Melton Mowbray - I can tell you two things about Melton Mowbray - they make Pork Pies, and it is nowhere near the A1 - the detour was a good hour and would have been a pretty drive. Except it was dark. We arrived quite late, but we were able to give Mum both her birthday cake and her yellow tablecloth - she loved both!

On Friday we headed for Milton Keynes: first stop Threads and Patches to buy some fabric - they have a huge amount of fabric, though no many complete ranges, so it makes you match fabrics rather than relying on designers.... they also have loads and loads of batiks! Here are the fabrics I bought: some batiks for the Farmer, some kids' fabrics for a couple of incubator quilts and some fabrics that I just liked!

We then had lunch at Dobbies and called in at Costco and Tesco to buy supplies for the party and then went home for Chinese and Indian takeaway - we couldn't all agree on just one!

Saturday was a tad busy! We spent most of the day cooking, and then the party in the evening. We had an English ceilidh! Lots of family and friends and good music and lots and lots of food. Buy 1.30am I was shattered and could barely get up the stairs for bed. We had banned Mum from the kitchen so she could enjoy her evening, rather than worry about the catering and she had a ball.

On the Sunday we ate leftovers and those who had travelled a long way joined us! I popped round Granny's and gave her the Indian Summer cushion - she loved it and the colours were a perfect match. She's busy making a cathedral window quilt and some tapestry cushions.

Uncle Gordon and Aunty Barbara (Michael's Aunt and Uncle) had travelled down for the party. My father-in-law, John and his brother, Uncle Gordon had done a lot of rallying when they were younger, and John had an MG Midget. It had broken down in 1982 and been put in the garage and had never moved since. When John was very ill back in 2009, he was worried that Linda would be left to sort out the Midget, so Dad took it off his hands. We spent a morning unburying it from the garage, then Mum and Dad took it back to Bedfordshire on a trailor, and then Dad had a new, larger garage built, and since then he has been restoring it. It was back on the road last summer and yesterday Uncle Gordon drove it for the first time in 30 years. Next year, Dad is hoping to enter the Berwick Classic and drive it in John's memory. There may be arguments about who gets to navigate!

We came home yesterday evening to two very excited doggies. And just three days to tidy the house ready for Mum and Dad coming to visit us. I decided not to start tonight, and instead prepared four Farmer's Wife blocks with my new batiks!

I'll be back with some more sewing tomorrow!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more