Skip to main content

Dear Jane [started]

I've made a start! I got the book last Christmas and for the last year I've been trying to decide on a colour scheme.  I thought about a rainbow (there is still scope for me to change my mind to this one) and I though about red and white, and red and black and white, and green.

After my green Farmer's Wife Baby Quilt, I chose the green option. I'm using every and all different greens (though staying away from very bluey greens) - I have plenty in my stash and I'm trying not to repeat fabrics -  and using Kona Snow for the background.

I started at the beginning with block A-1 Pinwheels Gone Awry. Foundation pieced. Pretty straight forward.

I then intended to do block A-2. I read a few tutorials ahead and found block A-3 Hunter's Moon, and had a mild panic attack. Applique already. And instructions I didn't understand. Could my DJ be over at block number 3? So I tackled it as soon as I got in from work yesterday.

I am so chuffed with this! By following the instructions with the fabric in front of me it all made sense. My applique isn't bad, the freezer paper techniques worked. my seams mostly line up and the finished block is the right size. And I love the fabric. SUCCESS!

And I didn't share my December block for Stash Bee with you! Owls....
Instead of embroidering the details by hand I had a play with some of the many stitches on my machine: you can't see it very well, but I did some curvy stitches on her tummy to represent feathers, and used a heavy straight stitch to give her eyelashes. And a little circle stitch for the centre of the flower.

We're going to see The Hobbit this evening, so no sewing for me.

P.S. Don't forget to come back tomorrow for the first Block in Jennie's Thread-Along!

Comments

Karen M said…
Congratulations for completing block #3. It looks great. I haven't had the guts to start a Dear Jane. I am still in the middle of Farmer's wife. I will be anxious to follow your progress. Good luck.
Nic said…
Great start! Love them so far.
Very cute owl block too
Can you believe that I have been sitting here in the last hour looking at various Dear Jane quilts. Even headed off to ebay looking for the Computer Software Pattern. You could be a bad influence :o)
I know someone who lives close to you who really likes the owl, and her sister may like it too
Ah.. I love start mine soon!! Lovely blocks you have made so far...Congratulation on making the move!
scraphappy said…
Lovely blocks. I have been using the tutorials at that quilt as well and they have helped so much.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more