Skip to main content

Teardrops [a finish]

You know those quilts you start because you absolutely have to? When you have many other things you should be sewing.... this was one of those quilts. I got Issue 3 of Quilt Now and dropped everything to pull navy and emerald from my stash - and a bit of pink and get piecing. The fabrics are Navy: Violet Craft, Domino Dots, Pearl Bracelets, Cotton and Steel Basics, Kona and a slightly marbled navy; and Emerald: Safari Moon, Pure Elements; two Pearl Bracelets and two Color Me Happy. The pink is Kona Candy Pink.


I finished the quilt in an afternoon. I've used it to show off my favourite colour scheme (favourite at that moment in time - it changes regularly), but if you were to size it up, it would be a great pattern for showing off larger scale prints too.

I'm pretty pleased with the back of the quilt too. Most of it is a fat quarter which my Mother-in-Law brought back from New York for me. It seemed a shame to cut it up, but wasn't quite big enough, so just a single stripe of Pearl Bracelets.

It took me a while to think about how to quilt it, but a certain small person has recently had some sleepless nights (related to teeth...) so I had lots of time to think about it. I decided to fmq a star-ish design in each of the navy diamonds.

You can see it better from the back. I made a right mess of one corner where the fabric moved and puckered a bit.


Luckily I've hidden most of it with the binding, which is Color Me Happy.


The finished quilt is about 18" x 18" and was from Issue 3 of Quilt Now magazine and designed by Sonia at Fabric and Flowers.

This will now hang next to my bed, where I have a narrow strip of wall in a corner next to the curtain, perfect for some mini quilts! And this is a sixth tick off my Finish Along List which you can find here.

Finish Along 2014

Comments

Marly said…
Lovely colour mix, with t he pink lifting the whole.
Lin said…
What a great design - and I love that colour combo too. xx
pennydog said…
Sonia's design seems to be the biggest hit from that issue :) Great finish.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more