About 18 months ago I made a cushion for some friends. Early this year, they asked if they could have another one as a matching pair. Some may consider this to be a bit cheeky, but as far as I'm concerned it's the ultimate confirmation that they liked the first one, so I was only too happy to make a start on the cushion. Months ago I prepared all the applique pieces. And didn't get any further. This is where I was at the start of the quarter, when I added it to my Finish Along list.
One of the things holding me up, was my sewing machine. The blanket stitch on my Brother machine is a bit pants compared to the blanket stitch on my Husqvarna, and the Husqvarna needed servicing, cause it wasn't working. The timing was out. It took me until October to get the machine serviced and last week I finished off the applique!
I quilted this cushion differently to the first. Rather than doing the applique and then layering and quilting (avoiding the applique in the process - quite awkward), I quilted first and then appliqued. I also did the sky differently - radiating lines rather than straight lines. I like it better I think.
The pattern is a free one from Tula Pink and I used fabrics from my stash: Botanics, Kona, and Pearl Bracelets. The blue is from a large piece I inherited from my Gran and is the same fabric I used on the front and back of the first cushion. It measures about 17" square and everything is appliqued and quilted using Aurifil.
And, as I said, this is from my Q4 Finish Along list (which you can find here)