Skip to main content

APQ Resolution [My Small World]

January's APQ Resolution project was number 6. For me that was My Small World designed by Jen Kingwell. Here you can see it at the start of the month. I'd finished quilting the sky and started on the rest of it.


And here it is today. It isn't finished, but I feel like I've made some really good progress: most notably I've bound it. This makes it a bit more manageable to continue hand quilting it. I picked the dark binding - Architextures cross hatch in black and grey by Carolyn Friedlander - to act as a frame to control the riot of colour in the quilt and I think it works.


There is still quite a bit of quilting to do in the middle section but the end is in sight now, so I'm hoping I get there soon and don't just shove this project back in the cupboard. I may have ordered some more quilting cottons to help keep interest in this project alive! In my defence, they are the same cottons I use for all my embroidery including the #1yearofstitches! I use #16 Finca perle cotton for all my hand quilting and most of my embroidery - it's a similar thickness to 2 strands of DMC embroidery thread, and it isn't too prominent but still chunky enough to justify "big-stitch" quilting.


You may remember, if you've read my blog for a while, that I didn't like this quilt. I loved piecing it but thought that the final result was a bit "meh" - I think that whilst I like scrappy, I like ordered scrappy. But I'm going to have to shut up now, because I love this quilt. I love that scrappiness. And I enjoyed it so much that I'm hoping to join in with @Gnomeangel's Long Time Gone quilt along and I've signed up for Jen Kingwell's 2017 block of the month, Delilah (which will be hand pieced - a skill that's new to me).
 
Once I have finished this quilt I'm going to have to be very careful with it. I've just held it up in the living room and both my daughter and my neice said "wow" and started telling me what they could see...! They can get their chocolately little mits off it!

So, what is the February project?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more