Skip to main content

Finish Along 2013: a final finish and a wrap up

This bonus week has meant one final finish for the 2013 Finish Along and my first finish of 2014!

she can quilt

The quilt is for a friend who had her baby boy back in August. Baby's nursery has a Very Hungry Caterpillar theme so the choice was easy. But I didn't even order the kit until mid-September. I got the fabric cut and then left it. To be honest, I wasn't very inspired. I had even resigned myself to letting this one roll over into next quarter. Until Sunday when I had an hour spare. And in the space of that hour I had done all of the border piecing and added the first border and half of the second border.


Why is it always the way that the things you put off actually can be done so quickly that you end up not knowing why you put it off again and again in the first place. So an hour on Sunday and a few hour yesterday got me a completed quilt top. I basted it this morning all by myself (just) and then I quilted it. I couldn't face setting up my machine for free motion quilting or putting the extension table together so straight line quilting was the way forward. I echo quilted inside the panels, gave a bit more definition to the butterfly in the centre, then quilted a quarter of an inch outside each of the pieced borders. Machine binding and done!


So that is my final finish for the 4th Quarter 2013 link up. I started with 20 finishes on my wish list and the comment that I would be happy with 10. How did I do?

Hexagon Table runner: FINISHED - and I love it.

Baby Quilt 1: Baby Blue: FINISHED and gifted.

Baby Quilt 2: Indian Summer: FINISHED and gifted.

Baby Quilt 3: Baby Paws: FINISHED and sent to my cousin to gift.

Baby Quilt 4: The Very Hungry Caterpillar: FINISHED (see above)

Baby Quilt 5: for my baby... PROGRESS but the plan changed. These are the Lucky Stars blocks from Don't Call Me Betsy and just a few weeks after putting on the Finish Along list, Elizabeth announced a second year of patterns, so I've signed up and will keep making these little blocks. Maybe it will be for baby when she's older. Maybe it will be for Mummy! I have made more blocks since October and I have another 3 prepped and ready to piece.

Medallion Quilt: FINISHED and gifted.

Aspen Frost: PROGRESS but not finished. The construction technique is ots and lots of chain piecing individual units and although it feels like I haven't made much progress I'm thinking it will be on e of those quilts that comes together very quickly at the end. But I'm not really close to that end yet - just closer than I was!

City Sampler: PROGRESS: I have just 11 blocks left to make, then my favourite part... sashing - I hate sashing. I also want to do a lot of free motion quilting on this - it really makes the difference on Tula's quilt, but as I keep telling my Mum - I'm no Angela Walters....

Joy Jelly Roll: PROGRESS but currently in disgrace - read yesterday's post for just how badly this quilt has been misbehaving....

Batik Wall Hanging: FINISHED and gifted: Even I'm surprised I got this finished....

Fireworks: UNTOUCHED.

Thread Along Quilt: PROGRESS - I nearly have a completed quilt top. Nearly, nearly...

Sisters BOM: UNTOUCHED - still only four blocks!

Skill Builder BOM: PROGRESS: I have made more blocks since October but I still have blocks to make and lots of quilting to get through.

Mystery Project: ABANDONED....

Neon Stained: UNTOUCHED

Three Peaks: UNTOUCHED

Double Wedding Ring: UNTOUCHED

Grey and red ferris wheel: UNTOUCHED, but I have located the missing bag....

That makes seven finished. I'll take that!

Looking back over 2013 I have finished 19 projects which qualified for the Finish Along. Considering I did no sewing for over a month in early pregnancy and had to slow down a little bit for the second half of the year, that isn't bad. And even with Baby imminent, I will definitely be taking part in the 2014 Finish Along!

Finish Along 2014

Comments

Wow you achieved so much. I love your hexie table runner it is fabulous!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more