Skip to main content

Penultimate Block [November]

We are getting there! Today I can share the November block with you.


By this time the colour wheel and I were struggling to pick out the next colour for a month, so I went for brown. This isn't always the most popular colour but I really like it - it can be a really warm neutral and can bring out the other colours in a quilt beautifully - I used it in my Rhubarb and Custard quilt and loved how it brought out the warmth in the pinks and yellows. And because of that it gets a whole month to itself - and appropriately, November, when nature is losing it's spring and summer colours and becoming increasingly brown (and on bad days, grey).


This month's block also includes one of my favourite motifs from the year. I have a bad habit of sticking to backstitch and then adding some more backstitch, and then a bit more backstitch.... I am capable of other stitches, but backstitch requires less thought. The thistle, representing Scotland for St Andrew's Day is another ode to backstitch, but I've added variety with some long stitch couched in place with tiny French knots - I'm dead chuffed with how this turned out!

You can find the embroidery pattern here and the instructions here. The instructions for piecing the other elements of the block can be found here.

If you have any questions, just drop me a note! And don't forget to add any photos to the Flickr group!

Comments

I am not fond of brown, but this looks lovely. It's a nice colour brown. Embroidery looks great!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more