Skip to main content

Some Sampler Quilt Love

A new year means new projects and yesterday I started two! Both are sampler quilts. Let me explain...

About 18 months ago I decided to make a quilt for my Uncle. He had seen my Farmer's Wife quilt top and spent ages looking at it in great detail. When someone shows that much interest in a quilt it's not a hard decision to want to make one for them. Add in the fact that he has a habit of falling asleep on the sofa and it's easy. While he was there we worked out what size quilt he would need, and for Christmas I asked for the book of Sylvia's Bridal Sampler - I wanted to stick to 6" blocks and he really liked the jewel colours you get from using batiks but I was bored of the Farmer's Wife by this point. In February 2013 I bought the black batik background. And then I ignored it. Other projects took priority.

Meanwhile I fell in love with a range of fabrics this time last year - Architextures by Caroline Friedlander. So much so that after ordering and playing with a fat quarter bundle, I ordered, and hoarded, a half-yard bundle - just waiting for the perfect quilt design. What actually happened is Caroline Friedlander brought out Botanics, and I bought another half-yard bundle. Meanwhile, I was missing the Farmer. Over Christmas it hit me - these fabrics, with fairly small scale prints and a rainbow of colours, would be perfect as a sampler quilt - just add in some coordinating Kona solids...

I'm going to work on these two quilts in tandem. I need 76 blocks for my Uncle's Quilt and all of these will come from the Bridal Sampler (which contains a choice from about 140 blocks). For my Architextures and Botanics quilt I will make blocks until one of three things happens: I get bored, I run out of fabric, or the quilt becomes unmanageable! So for every block I make from the Bridal Sampler for my Uncle, I will make the same block in Architextures/Botanics, but I'm also going to be making quite a lot of blocks from the Farmer's Wife quilt with these fabrics - along with any other block I like the look of and will work as a 6" block.

Does that make sense?

And what's more there is a Flickr Group for Farmer's Wife in 2014 and yesterday was a communal sewing day. Like I needed the excuse. I made 9 Architextures and Botanics blocks, 4 Bridal Sampler blocks, and just so she didn't feel left out, 2 Dear Jane blocks. These are so addictive!

So, from the Farmer's Wife book I made block 2: Autumn Tints

Block 7: Birds in the Air (rotary cut)

Block 31: Evening Star (rotary cut)

Block 71: Puss in the Corner (rotary cut)

Block 98: Waterwheel (rotary cut)

Block 111: Wrench (rotary cut)

Wrench is the same as Churn Dash in the Bridal Sampler book

And Block 21 Contrary Wife is in both books (rotary cut)


I also made 54-40 (really odd name) in both fabric-ways from the Bridal Sampler book (rotary cut and foundation pieced)


And Amethyst (foundation pieced).


And so Jane didn't feel left out, I flipped to the end of the book and picked two relatively straight forward rotary cut blocks: M-5: Mother's Point in Reminisce by Art Gallery.

And M-12: Hopscotch in Botanics from Caroline Friedlander.
It feels like a productive weekend and I love working on these blocks!

Comments

You're certainly going to keep busy! All your blocks are looking amazing :)
scraphappy said…
Amazingly productive weekend. Such fun fabric choices too. Glad you gave Jane a little love along the way.
Whah! You made a lot of blocks this weekend. They all look nice. Can't wait to see the end results! If you carry on like this they will be ready in no time!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more