Skip to main content

Collaboration

Yesterday I had planned to continue sewing on the binding on my Swoon quilt. Plans don't always come to be. Linda came over with a couple of quilts she was struggling with, so we did a deal. Hand stitching binding isn't my favourite thing in the world, so Linda took over that and I moved her quilts forward.

First up was a quilt all in greys.

We layered it up last week, with polyester wadding and a shiny cotton fabric. All that meant was that when Linda tried to straight line quilt it, it moved and puckered and was generally unhelpful! Her machine is smaller than mine and she was struggling to get the quilt through the harp spaceon her machine. I tried one line, got cross with the puckering, and pulled it all out and went for an all over stipple - it seemed to be easier and the layers moved about less. Except for the part when it folded on itself and got caught  up on the back and I had to unpick a load. And the time when the thread has a not in the middle of it straight off the reel. You live and learn. But I will never use polyester wadding again (I think I've said that before - but I've now said it Linda too!).

Second up was a quilt we layered on Sunday. It's a pre-printed children's panel for Linda's cousin's great-grandson, Frankie, who was born a couple of weeks ago.

Linda had quilted along the lines with a wiggle-y stitch and she convinced me to do the binding for her. I used my machine to stitch it on to the back and then top stitched it on the front. This went much smoother.

And I only have a quarter of the Swoon binding left to stitch.

Comments

Cherie said…
Great looking quilts! Loving the alphabet quilt! =D
Lovely alphabet quilt, such bright colours.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more