Skip to main content

Siblings Together: Amelia

At 11 o'clock on Saturday night (30th June) I finished stitching on the binding. That means I can link this up as a finish for the 2nd quarter Finiah-Along, and more importantly I can send off the finished quilt to be given to someone who will love it far more than me.

Though I have totally fallen back in love with it!

A few months ago, Lynne from Lily's Quilts asked for help to donate quilts to a charity called Siblings Together. The charity works to enable siblings separated by the UK care system to spend time together through planned activities and summer camps. Our quilts will be donated to the children who take part in the summer camps. It is something for them, to keep them warm, and comfort them when they feel most alone.

Quilts for Siblings Together

When I first came across this, I didn't feel able to contribute a whole quilt, but within a few days three lovely ladies had set up group quilts. I sent off Granny Squares blocks, log cabin blocks and nine-patch blocks.

Then I remembered this quilt. I started it last November, but abandoned it when Christmas stitching kicked in. And I never went back to it after Christmas. To be honest, it was all getting a bit too pink for me :) Why shouldn't I donate a whole quilt. A little girl out there somewhere would love the pinkness!

So I pulled it out and challenged myself to finish it by joining up with Rhonda's finish-along.

Not everything was rosy! This quilt caused me a lot of headaches: I got a biro stain on the central block - right in the middle of the white. Luckily a wonderful lady on Flickr suggested milk to remove it. It worked! I chose polyester wadding to keep down cost, but also because it would be easy to launder (and foster Mums and Dads do enough already without having to wash and dry large, heavy quilts), and light, if the child who gets the quilt is young. Maybe I didn't use enough basting spray, but straight line quilting just led to puckers. So I unpicked it. Then I decided on a stipple. The backing flipped over and got caught up in the quilting. More unpicking. Then my machine got grumpy. That was when I posted that the quilt was misbehaving. Eventually a new needle sorted out that problem.

But now that it is finished, I really do love this quilt, and I hope that the recipient, whoever they are, feels the love and warmth that I have put into it, especially for them.

I have no experience of the foster system, nor know anyone who has, yet something in the story about Siblings Together got me. These are kids that need a hug, and I am lucky enough to have the skills, and a little spare money and time to send them one.

I hope you have time to pop over to Lynne's and link through to some of the other bloggers who are linking up to share their story, and read some more about the charity. And there are loads of fantastic quilts in the Flickr group too!

Comments

memmens said…
Well done, sounds like it was a tough one to make so congratulations for persevering I'm sure it will be appreciated.
Cherie said…
Congratulations on finishing it off! It looks great! One girl is going to be very lucky! =D
Katherine said…
It is a beautiful quilt!
Lovely quilt. I am sure the girl who gets it will be thrilled.

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more