Skip to main content

Aspen Glow QAL [week 2]

We've just had a week of really lovely weather. This morning, however, Autumn has arrived with a vengeance: misty, grey, chilly. So a quilt pattern called Aspen Glow is starting to feel appropriate.

Aspen Glow Quilt Along @ Cora's Quilts

It's week 2 and we've now caught up to where I was last year. I'm making this for a relative and picked out five of the fabrics from last year's Downton Abbey range from Andover, paired with Art Gallery Pure Elements in a cream colour. These aren't my style of fabrics, but they are beautiful and I was quite pleased to have an excuse to use them!


The cutting for this quilt is extensive. I spent all day cutting. But the idea is you cut everything, bag it up, then chain piece the 10 different blocks. 

I made my A blocks - these are quite straightforward. There's just lots of them.

I made my B blocks - more to do, but still straightforward. It felt like there were hundreds of them.

Now I need to make my C blocks - there seems to be quite a lot of fabric in this bag and there seem to be a few more steps. I'm looking forward to block F - that bag seems very light!

Hopefully I can keep up with the fairly leisurely schedule and have a finished quilt by Christmas!

Comments

Hi Jennie - love your fabric choices. I have an old UFO in similar colors hibernating somewhere around here and now you have me itching to pull it out and start working on it again.

Instead, I have my E blocks to piece. :)

Can't wait to see your blocks come together!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more