Skip to main content

WIP Wednesday [Little bits and pieces]

I've been working on lots of things these last few days that I haven't blogged about individually so I guess it's time to share!

Everyone is having babies at the moment! Friends in Moldova welcomed their little baby boy this week (a little earlier than expected). Daddy is from the north east of England whereas Moldova is land-locked so I decided to make a quilt with a sea/boat theme and set about looking for boat patterns. I don't like doing raw-edge applique on baby quilts, and my needle-turn applique isn't always the strongest or neatest, so I was looking for a foundation pieced block. And I couldn't find any that I liked. So I designed my own. I haven't ever designed foundation patterns before, so this was a bit of a learning experience. I've so far designed a sailboat, a fishing boat and a lighthouse block. Each boat block will be made twice in different colours and I'll then add in four regular (easy) patchwork blocks to make up a nine patch. So far I've made the fishing boats and I'm so pleased that they worked.


The sailboat and the lighthouse need a bit more work before I start piecing. Hopefully they will turn out just as well.

I spent Saturday evening quilting my Mini Medallion Quilt - spiral quilting! And skipped stitches... grrrr



I've decided that for Christmas this year I want to make advent calendar for my nephew, niece and daughter. I have a plan, and I'm halfway through designing the pockets. It may be a bit too ambitious, and if Mia doesn't get hers this year, I don't think she'll notice.

Back to babies - I want to make a Preppy the Whale quilt for one of the other babies due in the next few months. So I had a practice run and a mad a mini for Mia. Mia had a two-and-a-half hour nap earlier this week and I pieced the whole thing in one sitting, The pattern is really clear and the blocks are easy to put together.

I finished piecing my mini Swoon quilt. I got bored piecing the Swoon blocks so threw the pieces I'd cut for the remaining four together and then attempted to create a quilt. This type of piecing hurt my head....but I like it.

And an update on my Mix-tape blocks - I've now made 15 and put them all together, I'm going to add a few borders, then make a giant mix tape for the back and this will be given by my sister-in-law to a 13-year-old who has just been told she needs a heart transplant.


And finally I added border and corrected the piecing on my Modern Alphabet Mini.


I've got loads of projects on the go, and loads more waiting to be started - my head is spinning! Linking up with WIP Wednesday!

Comments

Sharon said…
Love your preppy the whales!
Anonymous said…
oh wow! Love all your projects! I must follow you on IG because ive liked a few of those before! Those sailboats are so cute - well done for designing yourself, im newish to foundation piecing and im just about getting my head around sewing simple things the right way up!
Wow, I love everything you posted here. If I had to pick two favorites it'd be the boats and the alphabet quilt. It looks so cool and I love your color choices!
Wow! Those boat blocks are amazing... you could sell those patterns. Normally, boat blocks are so chunky looking, but yours have a lovely realism. And we must have a quilty connection because I've been drooling over that preppy the whale pattern and just made one of the mixed tapes a couple weeks ago! :)
Lovely projects, love them all. Great designing! Mix-tape will be great for a 13-year old.

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more