Skip to main content

A Green Finish

I have a finish this evening:

This is a baby quilt for Sebastian. We met Sebastian this week. He is now out of hospital and weights 5lb 4oz at 4 weeks old. He is soooooo tiny. He may have to grow into the quilt as it's about 35x50".

I picked 35 blocks from the Farmer's Wife Sampler Book and pulled loads of greens out of my stash, along with a Kona that isn't bright white, but not far off.

I had originally planned to sash the blocks with the same colour fabric as the background and then quilt roound each block in a contracting thread to frame it. This was my first finish using the walking foot, and although I'm really pleased with it, it isn't perfect, and when I used a contracting thread you could see wobble. So I pulled it all out and used white. It turns out it didn't need a contrast to frame the blocks as the quilting does this on it's own.

This was a good practice with the quiting, as I intend to something very similar with my big Farmer's Wife - in a matching thread!

I love the backing: it's a moda fabric from a range called Love U (I think). The binding is a Nancy Halvorsen fabric I picked up this afternoon - I'd been planning on binding it in white too, but that would have been too much.

This is another one for the Third Quarter Finish ALong

2012 Finish-A-Long

Comments

Nic said…
Beautiful! Congrats on the finish

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more