Yesterday I pieced a back from all of the leftover fabric and added the borders to the front. Here's the front....
I can't decide whether I like the back or not. If I have time I may applique on some hexagon flowers to break up the large amounts of green. I also need to make a quilt label.
Linda helped my baste it, and over three hours this afternoon I quilted it. I spent a while thinking about how best to do it. Straight line quilting is off the menu until I invest in a walking foot, so I knew it was going to involve a stipple. But I didn't like the idea of a stipple over the Dresden.... so I echo quilted the dresden (please don't look too carefully at the very centre!), then very carefully quilted a straight line 1/4" inside the edge of the centre block, then stipple quilted all of the woven and outside blocks.
In some places the quilting helped reign in the seams that were a little but wayward. (you can read about the tugging and tweaking in this post), but in others the quilting made it worse. Once washed and wrinkled I don't think it will show!
I bound it entirely by machine and I absolutely love it. These aren't my normal colours - normally I go brighter. But they are just so warm and cosy. Next weekend we're visiting my Mum and Dad and this is a gift for their next door neighbour, Aunty Marion - she, and her husband Den (who is now 90) use to babysit us when we were little and it's always nice to catch up with her when I'm home.