Friday, 31 October 2014

Halloween Quilt [a Finish]

I accidentally started a Halloween quilt last week. In total I spent 6 hours on this quilt: one hour working it out and cutting the fabric (I started with a mini charm pack, but needed to double the number of charms and add sashing); 2 hours piecing the quilt top; 2 and a half hours pebble quilting it and half an hour binding it!


I started with a mini charm pack of The Boo Crew from Sweetwater and a metre of a Robert Kaufmann halloween fabric for the backing. I bought both last year from Fat Quarter Shop in the post Halloween sales. To bring the quilt up to a sensible size I cut another 38 charms from my stash: a couple of Kona solids, two prints from Aspen Frost by Basic Grey - it was the perfect green, and a couple of bluey-purples that have sat in my stash for years now. I added a generous portion of Kona black to make the quilt peekaboo sized and so it fit the piece of wadding I had left over from other projects!


Having used pebble quilting on part of the mix-tape quilt I knew I wanted to make a quilt for us with pebble quilting. But it's a labour (and thread) intensive way to free motion quilt, so a full size quilt wasn't on the cards - this was perfect. Even more perfect was Aurifil 4648. It's a variegated thread called Desert Dawn but it is 100% Halloween - purple, orange, yellow and small amount of white. I bought it to quilt my Neon Stained when I was planning an all-over quilting design but it wasn't right and the plan changed. And it's rather th odd colour combo if I'm honest, so I haven't had much chance to use it. This time it was perfect!


And to bind the quilt - a splash of Architextures! The finished quilt is 32" x 26" - not huge, but a perfect size for playing peekaboo!


Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Lin said...

A great finish Jennie. xx