Skip to main content

Baby Butterflies [a finish]

I love this time between Christmas and New Year: once Christmas day is over, with all the family visiting and food to eat, we have very few commitments - boxing day leftovers with Michael's Aunt and Uncle, then the pantomime (Snow White and the Seven Dwarves this year!). Mum and Dad went home yesterday and Michael spent a few hours visiting friends, so I sat down at my sewing machine and did the most anti-social part of making a quilt - free motion quilting. Especially when you're doing an all-over stipple.


I pulled out two ready-basted quilt tops, and first up was the butterfly baby quilt, which I've been piecing for the last few months. Baby Evie was born on 23rd December, so this needs to get finished now. I decided to go with a stipple: all over large-ish scale in the highly patterned fabric, then much smaller scale in the background of the butterfly blocks. I also outlined the butterflies (much more neatly than the boat blocks from the other day).

I made a critical mistake with the choice of stipple on a busy print with pale pink thread - I couldn't see where I had already quilted, so there's a few overlaps...

So the finished quilt is 36" x 40". The butterfly block is a foundation pieced pattern by Tartan Kiwi, and the large busy print is Theodore and Izzy Mountain Meadow by Andrea Turk for Camelot fabrics. I started with this fabric, matched a turquoise for the sashing and binding, and then pulled other fabrics from my stash that tied in with it and which weren't too busy for the butterflies. The backing is plain white and the quilting is all done with a pale pink 50w Aurifil.

This is another tick on my Finish Along list for this quarter

Finish Along 2014

Comments

Katy Cameron said…
Congrats on your finishes :o)

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more