Skip to main content

Sew Together Bag 2 [a finish]

On My Finish Along list at the start of Q4 I had ten zippy pouches listed. This was one of them. And the third to be finished back in mid-November. But because it was a Christmas present I haven't been able to share it with you until now.


This was my second attempt at the Sew Together Bag pattern and it went so much quicker than the first one. I made a few changes as well: I found a great tutorial for adding tab ends to the internal zips at Crazy Mom Quilts which really tidies up the look of the inside - it makes it looks more finished somehow! I also hand stitched the binding down on the outside of the pouch - this looks so much neater than my original bag and didn't take much longer when you consider the struggle of getting the bag through the machine and everything lined up, and allow for the changing of needles when I inevitably snap one. Or two! I also understood the final step in the instructions this time. First time round I was quite tired but determined to finish - this time it was first thing in the morning and it just made sense. And looks neater for it. Lots neater.

This bag was for my Mum. And Mum loves batiks. I like batiks too. Back in November when I made it I was posting on Instagram with the #batiksarentevil. I have quite the collection of batiks left from my Farmer's Wife quilt (and the collection continues to build as I very slowly make a quilt for my Uncle) so pulled out all the blues and green (and a few browns and purple - but they got trimmed away). I used 1.5" strips and pieced them fairly randomly, then did some wobbly quilting.


On the inside I used rip stop for the pockets you see. This is supposedly vaguely waterproof - my mum does watercolour painting and the idea was that if she wanted to use this bag for her hobby, it would cope with damp paintbrushes. This was my first time using this fabric... I attached sew in interfacing to the back - note to self - basting stitches in matching thread next time, Jennie. And once that was done I used it in exactly the same way to quilting cotton - but no ironing!


The internal zippy pockets are more batiks. I bought loads of zips from Rickety Rose - I found them on Ebay but next time I'll go straight to their brand new website. Because I was ordering so much I got in touch to check they had everything I wanted in stock and the customer service I received was excellent. If you're in the UK and don't want to pay postage from the US, then this is a great way to buy zips!


I'm writing this post right after finishing the bag in November, so right now, this is finish no. 8 (though there have been some I haven't shared). Hopefully by the time I publish this there will have been a few more!



Finish Along 2014

Comments

Wendy said…
it looks great! I love the idea of the graduating colour stripes.

p.s. did you know you've got word verification on?
Unknown said…
Thanks so much for the mention Jennie. Your readers might like to know that we have a special offer of 10% discount when you enter the code SEWCOLD at the checkout (valid until the end of January)

Many thanks again

Rose

www.ricketyrose.co.uk

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more