Skip to main content

Preppy the Whale mini [a finish]

Some of my Q4 Finish Along goals have deadlines. Some just got added to the list because they were knocking about, half-finished. This is one of the latter category. And whilst sewing time is hard to come by at the moment, I decided about a week ago that rather than concentrate on the Christmas presents I had to finish, I would quilt this one up!

The pattern is Preppy the Whale by Elizabeth Hartman. I'm half way through making a baby quilt from this pattern and this mini was a practice run. It's such a quick and easy block that there was never any doubt I would be making the whole baby quilt. But it's not quite finished yet.

I decided on cross hatch quilting with lines a inch apart. Normally when I do cross-hatch quilting I mark each line with my hera marker, but this time I tried using the quilting guides again. And I just don't get the same accuracy. But with that many lines it's definitely the quicker way to do it. Also, I don't think I get the same degree of control with my Brother walking foot as I did with my Husqvarna walking foot.


The fabrics are Kona solids, the grey is from Comma and the aqua is a Cotton and Steel basics. The background is Painters Canvas in something that isn't quite white. I didn't have enough of the Comma dot to bind it, so pulled another print from the same range. Turns out it's a really, really odd colour grey and I couldn't find any other grey in my stash that matched! It's almost greeny. On the back I've used Ikea Nummer. Can you see my "deliberate" mistake?


This quilt has already been claimed: I was trying to photograph it on the floor and speed crawled the length of the room to get it! Doesn't she look pleased with herself!


As I mentioned, this was a goal on my Quarter 4 Finish Along list

Finish Along 2014

Comments

pennydog said…
No one looks at the back anyway, you're good ;) It's fab, it's such a cute pattern.
Kay said…
Just love this. x
Leanne said…
I hope you have a lovely holiday. The little quilt is adorable, I have this pattern to try one day too.

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more