Skip to main content

Sew Together Bag 4 [a finish]

This is the final Sew Together bag of Christmas 2014. I promise. I only finished it the Saturday before Christmas - I'm just happy it wasn't Christmas Eve!

This one was for Linda - she loves owls, and feathers hold a special place in her heart, so this combination was perfect! I's also the right colours! Quite lucky really as I was given the fabric, rather than picking it out with a purpose in mind!


The embroidery, which seemed to take forever, is a pattern from Urban Threads - I love pretty much everything on their website! It's hand embroidered in backstitch with the odd French knot, lazy daisy stitch and cross stitch thrown in for good measure. I used two strands of DMC stranded cotton throughout, except for eyes and beaks.

The border around the embroidery is a peeped seam. At least, I think that's what it's called. I took a strip of fabric 1" wide, pressed it in half lengthways, then basted it into the seam allowance, before attaching the feather fabric. I think it's a Robert Kaufman number, but I don't have any more on the selvage than that.



On the inside I used some Botanics, some solids and some randoms. The binding is Kona Purple, and I handstitched it down on the outside, which gives a much tidier finish than when I machine it.


And here are all three finished sew together bags together (you can't see number 1 - it's so full of my crap it won't close at the moment!).

And the insides - it's a sea of zips!

And this is another tick from the Finish Along list!

Finish Along 2014

And I'm going to link up to Santa's Sweatshop at Porch Swing Quilts too!

Comments

Diane-crewe said…
well done x They look wonderful x .. a personal gift is sooo much fun x
Lin said…
Gorgeous. xx

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more