Skip to main content

September's Work

Another month is over and a few more projects have been completed. I haven't finished as much this month as some other months, but larger projects have been started and not yet finished, plus I spent a week working on a secret project for Debbie from Letters Tied With Blue.... more information will come, but not yet.



The first thing to show you is a bit of a cheat, because I actually stitched it whilst on holiday in Sidmouth in August, but I only mounted and finished it off today: it's a small picture of swallow in a tattoo style that was originally a cover kit on cross stitcher. Instead of stitching it on the provided 14hpi fabric it stitched it on 22hpe hardanger fabric to minimise the pixalated effect. I've stitched it for Steph's birthday, so hopefully she doesn't look at this blog, cause she won't actually get the card till Tuesday!








It was Natasja and Ruben's wedding last weekend (I stitched the hardanger ring pillow for them), so I stitched a wedding card. It was a design downloaded from Creative Poppy Patterns and was designed by Faby Reilly. The design is stitched on 28hpi white evenweave in DMC threads, included variegated and metallic and embellished with three gold beads. It also included to speciality sticthes, and although the majority of the design was cross stitche, back stitch and half cross stitch, there was also a Rhodes Heart and some lazy daisy. The end result was gorgeous and very stylish - definitely one to stitch again!







And finally a house-warming present for my nephew. Phil, Jane and James moved into their new house on Friday and this morning I finished off a name sign for his bedroom door. It's from a recent issue of Cross Stitch Collection (designed by Lucie Heaton I think), and I stitched it on white 28hpi aida in DMC threads. Unfortunately th colours used mean that J, A, M and E were in one colour scheme and the S was in a slightly different one. Once I'd finished the cross stitch I wasn't sure about it as it didn't seem to hold together very well. I made it into a quilt with some pale green fabric (very close in colour to DMC 772) that I had bought at the show in Harrogate, but still wasn't happy with it once I'd pieced it. I put the wadding behind it then quilted a red (DMC 350)running stitch line between the design and the edge of the evenweave, which introduced more red into the design, which previously was only really on the S - this pulled the design together a lot. I then did a row of blue (DMC 996) running stitch on the green fabric round the edge of the design. Once finished these two lines of stitching made all the difference, and I was far happier with the end result that I had been earlier in the process. When finishing off the tabs, I attached the quilt to a plastic hanger, making it easy to hang - this is another brainwave I am very please with and may well use again.





So those are the finished pieces from the month. I continue with the Elegance design of Charlotte by John Clayton, and of course, a lot of time spent on the secret mission. Last night I also started a new project - this time a commission. It's a picture of jazz musicians silhouetted against a musical stave. Most of the design is in black, but with gold instruments. Needless to say, that much black is already quite boring.... it may take a while to complete with a lot of other projects in between. I will of course, keep you all updated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more