Skip to main content

A summer quilt

Perfect for a wet June day! Every day seems to be wet at the moment!

Weeks ago Jennifer at Ellison Lane Quilts announced a Summer Sewing Contest. I thought I might make a bag for my summer holidays. My "summer" holiday was last week. No bag. A brolly would have been more useful.
Ellison Lane Quilts
At the beginning of the year Rhonda at Quilter in the Gap announced a 2012 Finish Along.
2012 Finish-A-Long
Last Summer I chose to make a quilt with Ambrosia fabrics.
Last night was Friday Night Sew In.

Handmade by Heidi

Today all those fourthings come together!

I signed up to the Finish Along at the start of the second quarter (for the first quarter I was having my own personal start-along!), and I picked three quilts I wanted finished. At that time my sewing machine was misbehaving when I was free motion quilting, so I picked three quilts that I planned to straight line quilt. This was one of them.
This is how far I'd got at the start of April

April passed
May passed
June started passing very quickly.
I hadn't touched any of the three quilts.

We got back from Tenby last week, and separated from my sewing machine for seven whole days, I grabbed the nearest project. A week later, I have a finished quilt!
Just about big enough to cover the top of our spare bed,
but this wil be a generous lap quilt

This quilt started life last year when I saw the fabrics at my local quilt shop and just had to have them. I picked five fabrics from the same range and then added in a sixth. A fat quarter of each, some white sashing and the book "Fast Quilts from Fat Quarters". After just twelve hours of cutting, arranging and piecing I had a twelve-block quilt top.... but I didn't know what the hell I was going to do with it. So I bought another half meter of each of the fabrics, so that when inspiration struck, I would have enough fabric. Then the quilt went into the cupboard.

I put it on my finish-along list at the start of April and pulled it out of the cupboard. Then I ran out of thread one Friday evening and ended up in Hobbycraft (for the non-Brits it's a crafting superstore, that tends to be a bit pricey and the staff don't know the first thing about crafts - that's my experience anyway). To get to the thread I passed the fabric. Normally I wouldn't look twice, because the choice is limited and the price high. But I noticed out of the corner of my eye a print from Ambrosia. So went to look. They had a print I didn't have. Sold. They had a hug scale red fabric with roses on from the same range.  Backing? SOLD! But, wait.... on SALE? Yes! £7 a meter - SCORE!
The backing fabric

So, back to this week: by Wednesday night I had a finished quilt top (and I only used another fat quarter of each fabric so I have fabric to spare). Thursday I bought batting and pieced the back (I had only just bought enough....) and Michael (grudgingly) helped me layer it up. Turns out he doesn't actually like it.

Friday night was Friday Night Sew In. I planned to quilt it. My evening started with three hours of unplanned overtime.... but I did do four hours worth of quilting. Since deciding to do straight-line quilting, my machine has been fixed, so I decided this would be my first quilt fully covered in free motion stippling. If it went totally tits up, then my local shop still has all of the fabrics in stock! It went beautifully! My machine really is fixed. Not all of my stitches are the same length, but very few are tiny and none are stupidly long. And only my Mum would look close enough to see anyway!

This morning, another hour of FMQ, then I attached the binding (by machine). Then straight into the washing machine and the tumble drier and I have a lovely crinkly quilt (though most of the photos are pre-wash).
A post-wash crinkly photo

The fabrics are so summery (despite being red and green) and a year later they still make me think of summer. So I'm linking this mammoth blog post up to Ellison Lane Summer Sewing Contest, Friday Night Sew In and once the linky opens at the end of June/beginning of July, Rhonda's Finish Along.

Quilt stats:
Fabric: Ambrosia from Westminster fabrics (except one which I don't know)
Sashing: a white on white print - no idea....
Backing: also from Ambrosia
Binding: a bright pinky red from Kona
Wadding: bamboo cotton blend
Thread: Aurifil (I'm a recent but total convert)
Pre- washing size: 76 x 66"

Comments

Cherie said…
So glad to see you got the quilt finished up at long last! Red and green are a great combo =D
Karen M said…
Congratulations on a great finish. The quilt is wonderful. I see why those fabrics called out to you.
Anonymous said…
A happy FNSI for you. Love reading about your quilts story too and you can be very proud of it. I love the free motion quilting on it. Here in Aust we have a similar type of store called Spotlight but it is usually not too badly priced thankfully.
Well done with the finish it looks beautiful xx
Roos said…
A wonderful quilt, the best things in life takes time, but now you can enjoy it.
Visiting from FNSI.

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more