Skip to main content

Oh My.... it's finished

Two posts in one day! If you want to see reveal number 2 - Swoon, that post is here.

But this post is reveal number 3 - Oh My Stars - my largest quilt ever at (I've just measured it) 97" x 76" - that's 346" - 28 feet - of binding sewn on to the back of the quilt by hand! What a good use of the Olympics Opening Ceremony!


It was a bit windy - thanks Mum and Linda for holding it up!
 Here's the story of this quilt: I really like star blocks - I like the symmetry of them. Back in November I tripped over the Oh My Stars QAL - I can't remember exactly where I saw it (but it could well have been on Sharon's blog - she always has loads of great projects). Sheila was using vintage sheets for her quilt and I love the large floral prints. Our local quilt shop hat just got in the full range of Dogwood Trail from Moda and the floral nature (whilst not old fashioned) seemed to fit the bill. So I asked for 16 fat quarters for Christmas and then used the remainder of my Christmas vouchers to buy the background fabric.

Originally I hadn't asked for any of the fabrics from the range that had a white background. But as I went along, I added a few as the patterns allowed for it.

There were a couple of the patterns I didn't use - I'm not good with wonky stars, so didn't use that pattern, and my fabrics didn't lend themselves to the log cabin star. I loved the effect from some of the simple patterns, and I swore over some of the harder ones. But it was all worth it! By the time  came to the last few blocks I was really eeking out the fat quarter, and inevitably I ran out of my favourites first. But it was a good exercise in careful cutting and planning.

I knew I wanted a border, so picked one of the darker blues for a narrow border (and binding) and then a large print floral on a white background for a wide border to keep the overall look light and airy (this quilt makes me think of spring).

Again, in order to reduce cost, I backed this quilt with a good quality sheet and used Bamboo blend wadding.

The quilting is a very small scale stipple in all of the background fabric. I have to admit, it felt neverending. I used an off-white Aurifil bottom and top, so unlike Swoon, you can't see the quilting quite as much on the back.

Again, the sheet on the back is a slight second, so there's a small mark. I've designed a quilt label (and another for Swoon) and I'm going to spend some time on my holiday embroidering them, ready to applique on when I get back.

This is another finish that I'll be linking up to the third quarter Finish Along.

Comments

scraphappy said…
Congratulations. It looks great! Star quilts are always so pretty, and your fabric choices are perfect. Fabulous quilting too.
Cherie said…
What a stunning quilt! I see this time you had same height quilt models =P
Katherine said…
Beautiful! I also love your swoon with the red too.
Lovely quilt and such nice colours.
Kristi said…
looks wonderful. Can't wait to see my own finished but I am soooo far behind!! Great Job!!
Nic said…
Two great finishes. Congrats! Of the two I think swoon is my favourite. I love the red background and the red quiltingbin the back
memmens said…
Well done, it looks wonderful, so lovely to see different versions on it. Hope you feel as pleased with it as I do with mine!
Karen M said…
Wow. You should be very proud of this finish. I love it. The colors, the scale, your finishing choices...just wonderful.
Sheila said…
It turned out wonderfully! I love the way you choose to quilt it, and the double boarder really sets off the stars nicely. Well done!
Cliodana said…
just amazing, love the color and the design is pretty something. good and huge work
CapitolaQuilter said…
Your FAL Q3 is amazing - this one and the many others, congrats!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more