Skip to main content

Odds and Ends and shopping!

I am getting a new sewing area - no more table in the middle of the living room - we're doing a bit or reorganisation. Yesterday we started with a trip to Ikea. Today our house looks like a bomb has hit it - so NO photos yet! But while we were at Ikea I checked out the fabric and came home with three metres of each of two prints. The fabric with the numbers on it doesn't have a purpose. Yet. But I've got enough to back a lap quilt. The one with birds and green on it is to back my stained quilt, which I pieced at Easter and haven't touched since.

Text print on a really big scale!


We haven't done anything today because I've been down to Harrogate to the Quilt Show. I had a bit of a dilemma about the backing for my Farmer's Wife quilt. The book says you need 9.5yards of fabric - that's well over £100 of regular patchwork fabric which I just cannot justify. Nothing at Ikea had really floated my boat either. I could start with a bed sheet, but I would have wanted a black sheet, which isn't easy to come by at a quality and cost that would be acceptable. Then today I struck gold. Extra wide Batik fabric - there wasn't much choice in colour or pattern, but there was one that was perfect. The same stand also had king size batting! I got the fabric and batting together for £70! Buying the border fabric wasn't quite as straight forward. I hummed and hahed for ages and ages and eventually went for a yellow batik that's a very good match to the plain dye yellow I'm using for the sashing. Next time I have the space to lay the quilt out I'll put this next to it and double check I'm happy :)

I also bought a few fat quarters to add to my stash! And green variegated perle cotton for some hand quilting on the baby quilt for Sebastian.

The purples are purple-y-er in reality
The quilts on display were fantastic. Totally inspiring. Especially a completed rainbow Dear Jane quilt. I'd been on the lookout for my next sampler quilt once the Farmer is finished, and now I'm torn: I spent some time looking at the Civil War Love Letters Quilt book, and some more time looking at the Sylvia's Bridal Sampler book (based on the Elm Creek novels), and then I saw the Dear Jane.... I already have the book but it's quite scary - lots and lots of applique! The Dear Jane at the show was totally hand pieced, and seeing in reality just how small some of the pieces are, maybe this is the way forward. So maybe I could justify this as a hand project and one of the others as a machine project? All I need to do now is decide on colours/fabrics!

Of course all this excitement does mean that my project I wanted to enter in the Festival of Hexagons is miles from being finished. I guess you can't do everything.... I have a quiet evening this evening as I can't start heaving furniture about without Michael and he's out for the evening. SO you never know - maybe I'll sew hexagons at superfast speed!

Oh - and I might have also "accidentally" signed up for another QAL - oops - Spinning Stars by Anna Maria Horner. Originally I said I might do a lap quilt, but I think this one will have to come out of my stash so maybe a baby quilt.

And I "accidentally" bought some papers for paper piecing some Ferris Wheels - I saw this at the start of summer and I LOVE it - I want to make one too!

I am so accident -prone you wouldn't believe it! My husband doesn't!

Comments

Nic said…
Exciting news on the sewing space - looking forward to seeing it when done.
Wow, that's a lot of backing fabric. It doesn't sound quite right. Maybe you'll end up with extra that you can use for another roject. Great selections by the way.
I missed ANOTHER quilt show? I'll get to one eventually.
Dear Jane, definitely Dear Jane :) I think you're right and hand sewing is the way to go. I really want to start this project too. I'd picked my colours (though not bought anything yet), but now I'm wavering. I've got another couplevof terrific ideas. What is front runner for you?
Isisjem said…
Great that you're getting your sewing place organised. Love your Ikea fabric purchases.
Cherie said…
Yay on the new sewing space and finding some great fabric too! I have yet to go to a quilt show they always sound like so much fun!
Hahaha accident prone! =D
Congrats on the new sewing space :) Can't wait to see it! Good find on your backing and batting! Love looking at your new pretties, they are going to be great in your projects.

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more