Skip to main content

2015: Best laid plans!

There are so many things I want to sew along with next year, and so many quilts I've seen in 2014 that I want to make in 2015... I need to manage these projects so I'm using as much stash fabric as possible #sewmystash2015 and keep the cost down... these projects need to budget friendly... just as well I got s fabulous bundle of fat quarters for Christmas!

Technicolour Galaxy  - the new BOM from Pile O Fabric - I am so excited about this quilt - lots of more advanced techniques, quilt as you go and rainbows. What more could I want?! Of course I followed along with her 2013 Skill Builder BOM. Well - I started following along. Another dream for this year is to finish the 2013 quilt. I have some blocks pieced and quilted, some blocks pieced and not quilted and some blocks not started. I'm going to need to buy some solids (quite carefully) but I'm hoping to use a lot of stash fabric.

Skill Builder BOM 2015

Moccassin BOM - this is the new BOM from Gen X Quilters and her third. I started her first in 2013, but only made a couple of the blocks. I stupidly decided to use white as the large negative space... not sensible in my household. A few months ago I had a brainwave of changing to red, so this one can now move ahead again. I also followed along with her second BOM and actually finished it within the year - the Vice Versa quilt. The third, for 2015, was revealed at Quilt Market and I knew straight away I'd be sewing along! I really like the pallette of the original quilt, and this may be a fairly large purchase of Kona solids - but I may have to delay starting this quilt for budget reasons!

Moccasin BOM by Gen X Quilters

Gravity - the 2015 pattern from Jaybird Quilts. My parents are buying me the kit for this quilt for my 30th (!) birthday. This was another quilt I knew I wanted to make straight away!


Toes in the Sand was Jaybird Quilts pattern from a few years ago. I bought the pattern a while back and then bought Safari Moon fabrics to make it. I've just been waiting for a chance to start it. This really excites me with the specialty rulers and the triangular blocks.


Power of Nine BOM: I found this accidentally. The blocks all seem straightforward but I love the setting. The plan is to pick a colour scheme, buy some Kona solids to match and then use fabrics from my stash.

Block of the Month Quilt~a~long

Orange Peel Quilt: I saw so many orange peel quilts pop up last year. My dream is low volume and rainbows, but I haven't got any further.

Patchwork City (2 different quilts): I got Elizabeth Hartman's new book just before Christmas. I love the quilt which uses all the blocks and which I'd seen online, but I also another of the settings using just the largest blocks, and as I can't chose, I'm thinking both might 'have' to be made. I think this also has to be stash.

A quilt using the same techniques as the cushions I made:

QAYG scrappy panels in portholes. Again, this is still very much in my head only, but the idea of using some of my huge mountain of scraps is really appealing at the moment. And to get those scraps sorted I'd love to make some scrap baskets using my scraps.

Months and months ago I signed up to the Amish With A Twist Quilt BOM from my Local Quilt shop. It comes complete with all fabric, and I now have all installments. I made a start - I cut th fabric in the first pack - it took me a day. I haven't done anything else. I need to reassess and decide if I actually like it, and if so, I can get going with it. If not, maybe someone else would like it.

The Jane Austen Family Album Quilt using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey - fabrics I've collected over the last year and now I have enough to complete the quilt top. I'm also looking forward to reading the blog posts as I go and learning some more about Jane Austen, as I love her books (and the films more often).

As well as the 2013 BOMs mentioned above, there are some other quilts I've started and would love to see finished. First up is my Double Wedding Ring Quilt. This was another 2013 start. I've made good progress, but those Y-Seams! I do have all the fabric I need for this including a gorgeous backing, so this is a budget friendly quilt

I also really want to finish my City Sampler quilt as well - I'm hoping to enter it into the Harrogate Quilt Show at the end of summer, but there's a lot of quilting to get through first.


Not to mention the Lucky Stars quilt from Don't Call Me Betsy



And there are a few long-term sampler quilts I'm working on too - I don't necessarily plan to finish them in 2015, but some progress would be nice: Dear Jane, Architextures and Botanics, and Sylvia's Bridal Sampler.

And of course every time I go on Instagram or read blogs or dare to venture onto Pinterest I see something else I want to make....It's just as well I got a beautiful package of fabric for Christmas! This was yesterday's new project....
What are your plans?

Comments

Leanne said…
Your plan will have you making so many beautiful quilts, I am looking forward to watching your progress over the year.
Leo said…
ohh my so many QALS ... thanks for the "link list" .. I will have to check them out- though I sitll have some from this year I want to start ... and some from this year that need finishing ..

I'm sure you will find someone who wants the Amish with a twist quilt ... (me maybe) ...

I still have a day well two left to make an assesment of all the UFOs, WIPs and the bucket list...

And I really really need to finish some of those "just need a tad more quilting" and even worse the - "bury the threads" quilts ...
Allison said…
Jenny, do you ever sleep - or maybe you dream quilting projects and wake-up with the list all ready to go? I set up my machine yesterday and did a foundation paper piece block following Carol Doak's class on Craftsy. This in preparation for doing one of the quilts in a book given me for Christmas - 'Vintage Quilt Revival'. I've also taken some steps to overcome the 'no comment' thing on my blog which you were kind enough to point out a few weeks ago. I'd be very grateful if you could try replying to this comment as a test to whether or not the problem has been solved! Thank you!
Allison
neweverymorningpatchworkandquilting.wordpress.com
Allison said…
Oops! Just discovered my silly blog name becomes public when I comment! Have changed it much to my son's amusement!
Allison
Wendy said…
That is a lot of boms, but if anyone xan keep up, it's you!
pennydog said…
Wow what a list! That Technicolor galaxy looks amazing!!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more