Skip to main content

#100days100blocks [Blocks 41-50]

We're half way through this project! And I'm in love with the three projects I'm working on. I decided that this would probably be the last time I have space to lay out all the blocks together until I actually start piecing the quilt top so here are my three projects in their current glory: First up is the 27 blocks of the lap quilt I'm making for our sofa.



Next up is a quilt for Michael's cousin and her husband. The brief was purple and neutral with a splash of lime green. Thirty-four blocks here.



And finally a quilt made up of the 8 blocks I don't really like. Except I love them in these fabrics. This will be a baby quilt. Except she's not a baby any more because I'm so rubbish!


So on to the "Ten-things-about-me" bit of the post!
Block 41: Linda
 This is for my mother-in-law: she lives just round the corner and we see her a lot - she looks after the kids and I cook dinner for her - it seems to work well. We also share a love of patchwork.

Block 42: John


My late father-in-law who is known as Grumps to his grandchildren and missed every day.

John and Linda: Taken on our wedding day in October 2007

Block 43: Road to Jerusalem

This block takes us back to Pembrokeshire and the coast path above Porthgain. There is an abandoned slate mine called Jerusalem, and the road the quarrymen took to work was called the Road to Jerusalem. It's one of the most beautiful stretches of the Pembrokeshire Coast Path.



Block 44: Autumn


Autumn arrived in full force last week. And this week we're back to sun and blue skies. But chilly mornings.

Block 45: Great Langdale


It's tough to decide whether I prefer Pembrokeshire or the Lake District. If it's the Lakes, then Great Langdale is the place to be. The photo below is a favourite spot, just outside of Elterwater village looking up the Valley.



Block 46: Dad

This one is for my Dad.



Block 47: Nine Castles


Back to Pembrokeshire: it was heavily fortified and boasts loads of ruined castles which are great to clamber over as a kid: Carew - my favourite; Tenby - a beautiful walled town where we stay when on holiday in Pembrokeshire; Pembroke - the biggest castle and birth-place of King Henry VII; Manorbier - we stayed near here when I visited the area with schoolfriends after we'd finished our A-Levels. The owner of the campsite was very dubious about taking a booking from a group of nine eighteen-year-olds: my Mum had to speak to her to convince her we were a nice group and wouldn't destroy the place or get so drunk we'd fall off the cliff. Instread we had bbqs on the beach and walked to coast-path. We behaved so well, she had us back the following year!; Cilgerran - up in the North of the county; St Davids Bishop's Palace - next to the beautiful cathedral; Laugharne over the border in Carmathenshire and home to Dylan Thomas; Kidwelly; and Llansteffan which we only visited once.

Tenby with Castle Hill at the back


Block 48: Jerk Face

A special one for my husband for when he's being a patronising arse. Affectionately of course...

Block 49: Islands


Guess where: Pembrokeshire again: There are three Islands off the coast of Pembrokeshire which have really happy memories: Caldey Island just off the coast of Tenby; Skomer Island: when we visited as children my Grandad would come too. We went on a boat trip round Skomer, except the weather was so bad we only went along one side and then turned around and came back. It was a bit hairy when the boat turned. Grandad couldn't understand why I wasn't wearing my hood, so pulled it up for me. Of course it was full of water and went right down the back of my neck. It was the first trip where I saw puffins; Ramsey Island: when we went back as adults, Dad decided that he really didn't like boat trips, so he and Michael went to the pub and Mum and I went on a speedboat trip round Ramsey. It was so exhilirating and we saw so much wildlife. The boats to Ramsey leave from the life boat slip way at St. Justinians - a tiny, tiny little place tucked into the cliffs just outside St. Davids. There are more Islands off the coast, but I haven't ever visited them.

St Justinians and Ramsey Island
Block 50: Carew Castle

I mentioned this was my favourite castle! It sits on the edge of a tidal millpond and the view across to the ruined Elizabethan windows is one of my favourites.

I can't actually find a photo in the sun - but do a Google image search to see how beautiful it can be
There we go - quite Pembrokeshire heavy this time round!

Comments

Do you 'affectionately' call your husband by his pet name while your hands are round his neck to throttle him and your teeth are gritted?!
claudia said…
What a fun post! Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Popular posts from this blog

Hidden Agenda [A Finish]

This is very possibly my favourite ever finish - I know I've said that in the past, but this one is going to be hard to beat. This time last year, I attended a day long lecture/workshop with Tula Pink and it was inspiring. Having not really loved her fabrics in the past (but loved her patterns), I suddenly saw them in a new light, linked with my 2018 new year's resolution to try more fussy cutting). Fast forward 8 months and I confess that my Tula stash has expanded quite a lot. I found some UK shops with older ranges of fabric, splurged on a few destashes and found the odd piece of her fabric already in my stash. The plan was always (and remains) to make a Smitten quilt, but I'm well aware that I have plenty of fabric to make other projects as well! So when I saw the Hidden Agenda quilt pattern by Angela Pingle, this fabric sprung instantly to mind.... and we all know I love a rainbow! And what could be better than rainbowfied Tula? I was ably assisted by my friend Ti

365 Quilt Challenge 2016 [A finish]

I can't believe I've just typed that heading! When I made the block for January 1st 2016 I could not have imagined the journey this quilt would have taken me on. So make yourselves comfortable and grab a cup of tea, because this blog post may get lengthy! I'd seen the 365 Quilt Challenge on Facebook. I think every quilter on Facebook must have been aware of it. Loads of my friends had signed up and it kept popping up as a "Page you might like" thing. In the end, in November 2015, I joined the group, had a poke round. Decided it wasn't for me. One of the things that really put me off were the fabric requirements: you needed x amount of dark dark fabric, x amount of medium dark fabric, x amount of dark medium, medium, light medium, light, background.... I just couldn't get my head round those requirements. I'd looked at the mock ups on the wesbite and couldn't bring myself to pick a colour. I put it to the back of my mind. But I had obvious

All the Little Finishes

 I've had a few recent finishes - mostly smaller pieces and mostly not on my list to finish this year (because I've only just started them!) - lots and lots of pouches! Here's a round up... Three pouches I made for the kids for our holiday - all are the Seamingly Sane Pouch pattern, but I used the pattern add-on to adjust the sizes and customised with some straps and in one case, a pocket. These three pouches are made for our work Yubikeys when we travel to protect them - it's a slightly adjusted Aneela Hooey pattern - the peas are an inside joke! I knew I had pea fabric for a reason! A couple more Seamingly Sane pouches - the smaller one was a birthday present for my Dad, and the floral one was for me to protect my diary when I travel. Seven pouches made entirely from my scraps to hold EPP pieces pre sewing! This is the Peekapouch pattern by Sweet Cinnamon Roses. This is the Not So Little Zippy Pouch by Fabric and Flowers. The pattern is a bit of a challenge, but this

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more