Skip to main content

Cushions for the kids

 The dinosaur quilt I finished back in early September was quite popular in our house. Josh squealed in delight every time he saw it. So he was not best pleased when we gifted it to the newest addition to the family - a baby cousin. I am planning on making him his own dino quilt (I have a May 2021 deadline in mind....) but in the meantime, I decided a cushion would soften the blow. 

Michael and I watched his reactions to the quilt a few times and worked out that he definitely liked the orange dinosaurs but couldn't pick between the Stegosaurus and the Triceratops. I made an executive decision that the Triceratops made a better shaped cushion!

But of course when you have three children, one cushion just won't cut it! I was lucky that I had a weekend set aside for the Virtual Sewing Shindig. We couldn't meet up in person this year, but a weekend was organized full of zoom chatting and sewing with some workshops as well! I cleared out our junk room, set myself up and closed the door! Heaven! As well as making Josh a dinosaur cushion that weekend, Jessica had requested a "pink dinosaur with flowers and a crown". Obviously. She also made it clear that she liked the brachiosaur. I present, a pink dinosaur with flowers and crown! (it's pinker in real life

The flowers are broderie perse - I had a lovely flower print I picked up in a destash and I simply cut out the floral element and raw edge appliqued it in place. And the crawn is some slightly less technical applique!

And the final cushion was for Mia. One of the workshops I attended over the weekend was a foundation piecing class with Jeliquilts. Mia picked out her Stupid Cupid pattern and I kept it simple with red (her favourite colour) and white. The massive advantage of sewing at home rather than being away for the weekend, meant that even though I hadn't planned very well in advance, all the extra fabrics, wadding and zips I needed to get all three cushions finished were just upstairs! It doesn't make up for not seeing everyone in person - I can't wait for next year - fingers crossed!

I gave the cushions at the end of retreat and I think they were appreciated! Each one had a little label sewn on the back!




Comments

Annie said…
Jennie, you and the dinos had a very successful personal retreat. The cushions are all fantastic. I’m partial to the pink dino and the foundation pieced heart.
QuiltGranma said…
A bunch of lovelies for sure!

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more