Skip to main content

Mug Rugs and Applique'





Last night was Friay Night Sew In.

My Friday night sew in was shared with Linda, Buster (11 month old puppy), James (4 year old nephew), Steph and Jonny. I got some done before everyone arrived and I carried on once they'd gone home and stayed up quite late to make some progress on Christmas presents:

I started by finishing of a project I began last weekend at a class. It's a die-cut applique design of reindeers, bells and snowflakes and this was the first time that I have tried the blanket stitch on my new sewing machine - my old one didn't do blanket stitch! I was really slow, cause I was determined to be accurate, but I sped up as I went along. I wasn't planning on finishing the applique last night but the machine was threaded up and the applique foot was on so I went for it. I now need to layer it up and quilt it - I have bought some fine perle cotton and I'm going to hand quilt. Then I can make it up into a cushion. And I have the negative pieces from the die-cut so I can make a matching cushion! Maybe in time for next year!
Needless to say - the antlers and snowflakes were a little fiddly!

Then I moved onto mug rugs. I'm excited about these because I designed them all myself:

This one is for my Secret Santa at work. I have a mug to go with it that also has apples on it. The red fabrics are from the countdown to Christmas range - I have loads of leftovers from my quilt, and the blue and green were bought in Guernsey (I think they are Dunelm fabrics) I have no idea where the white came from. The apples are appliqued on (now I've learnt how to do it there's no stopping me) and the leaves and stems are embroidery. Just need to quilt and bind it! My deadline is Friday.
The second is for my manager - she loves Cath Kidston chintzy fabrics - this isn't Cath Kidston, but it is chintzy. I drafted my dresden plate petals after a lot of thought and assistance from Linda, then appliqued those on to the background fabric (I love applique). I've picked out the embroidery threads and still need to finish the embroidery. This one will be handquilted. Deadline is also Friday.If this one turns out ok, I'll make another one for Sheila to go with a lovely mug I have bought her and some beautiful chocolates. Another tight deadline as I'll need to send it in the post!
And then there's this one. I can't tell you who it's for and I can't show you too much of it before Christmas in case the recipient pops by: I'll share more about this one after Christmas because I'm quite excited about it. If it doesn't turn out how I imagine it, this may be all you ever see of it.
This weekend is my last empty weekend before Christmas so I need to make some progress on Christmas presents and start finishing some of them. Pop back tomorrow, when hopefully I'll have some finishes that I can share with you this side of Christmas!

I hope everyone else had a productive Friday Night Sew In! Follow the link at the top to see what everyone else has been up to.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Autumn 2012

This weekend it's the Blogger's Quilt Festival over at Amy's Creative Side Since the last festival I have finished loads of quilts which I could enter, but I'm sure anyone who follows my blog will have guessed which quilt I'm entering.....and will probably be fed up of seeing it by now :) The Farmer's Wife Quilt - here's the story and lots of photos! In June 2011 some of my favourite bloggers joined the Farmer's Wife QAL on Flickr and I got sucked in! I had just learnt how to foundation piece, so I also joined the Yahoo group and "borrowed" my parents printer to print off all of the foundation patterns. I hate templates, and there were some blocks that would have been impossible to rotary cut - including some of my favourites! Peaceful Hours; Spiders Web; Jackknife Century of Progress; Night and Day; Wood Lily I had been looking for an excuse to buy use batik fabrics. I just had to decide on black. Or white. I change my mind a...

Sweet Serenade Pincushions

This week has been about preparation, rather than sewing. I'm still hoping to meet my deadline of a full sized quilt by mid July - it's for friends that we don't see often - by which I mean, once a year, and that once a year is coming up quickly. I'm using Sweet Serenade by Basic Grey for Moda, which was released a few years ago now. I confess when I first bought it, I didn't have a plan for it, I just knew I liked it. But I also knew that it wasn't really my normal fabric choice. It was fabric I would enjoy sewing with, but perhaps not the end result so much. Then I realised it's colour scheme was perfect for these friends. I've spent this week cutting out all the pieces for the remaining 20 blocks. And by Thursday night when I finished I was feeling like I hadn't achieved much. Obviously I had and when I started piecing the blocks, they went together beautifully quickly. But I needed a quick finish on Friday Earlier this month, Fat Qu...

Meet Mia

***warning - lots of photos*** It is the first of March and therefore time for a review of what I achieved in February. There was some sewing for the first 23 days - I finished the quilt for Baby I made progress on the quilt for a friend's Baby and I finished my Thread Along Quilt  top I made some Dear Jane blocks (you can see them here , here and here ) and some Farmer's Wife Blocks And then on 24th February I went into labour and 12 hours later at 11.26pm we welcomed Amelia Lily to the world. Mia for short, weighed 9lbs 1 oz (4110g). We came home on Thursday after a few days in hospital and now we are juggling feeds, nappies and sleeps. Three hours old I love how suspicious she looks in this picture... We had a very handmade home coming with a knitted cardi and blankie from Grandma - my name was mud as the blanket was over 230 rows each with over 230 stitches plus a border.... I don't knit so I don't really understand - Grandma made sure I ...

Labels

Show more

Archive

Show more